Chapter Nineteen: The Grim Reaper's Wrath

I did it, I won. I dropped to my knees and saw my now blond hair flow down my arms. I stood up and saw my reflection in one of the mirrors I hadn't noticed before. I still looked like me, only with blond hair and blue eyes. 

"You did good my dear, I am proud of you."

"Thanks, but how do I change back?"

"That depends on you. You are now awakened as a reaper, and an angel. If at anytime you wish to live a more 'pure' life, you are free to change back. But know, I still love you. Please tell your mother I miss her, and I would like to see her once again." The connection dropped after that, and I could no longer hear him. I was still in my angel form, only because I don't know how to change back yet.

"I guess I have no choice." I summoned my wings, and saw that they were also different. Instead of the normal black demon wings I have come to know, I now have pure white feathery wings. I move them and they feel so familiar, they are still my wings. I fly up and I can't believe how light my body feels. I look down and see that all the souls have smiles on their faces, that was a first for me. I found myself actually smiling back at them, I was happy.

I flew home and I could feel Blake's energy again, he was back to normal. I landed and ran trough the doors. Mom and dad were both there standing next to Blake, who was now sitting on the couch. They looked up once they heard the door open, and they all looked like they didn't recognize me. It took Blake less than a second to realize who I was, and he came and hugged me. I have to admit, I missed his hugs.

"You made it, I'm glad." My parents came over once they saw Blake hugging me. My mom was the next to realize who I was once she saw my eyes. For the first time since I've been born, I actually saw tears in my mothers eyes. My father on the other hand, seemed shocked and confused.

That night we explained everything to our parents. They could not believe that they hadn't noticed it before. They wanted to fined Abraham and kill him, but I told them I took care of it. They could not believe that I was able to take down someone like him. He was able to fool even my father, I had no hope of winning. Let alone coming out of this alive.

"Lolita, I am so proud of you. You really are the right one to take over as Grim Reaper." I looked at the smile on my father's face, and the sad one on Blake's. I remember what Abraham had said, about my one weak point for becoming a grim reaper.

 "Father, I would love nothing more than to become a grim reaper."

"Excellent! We should..." I interrupted him, and he looked confused.

"But I can't take over for you." They all looked shocked. Even Lenore, who just happened to come out of her room at that moment. She looked confused and sad.

"Lolita, what do you mean you can't take over for your father? Why not?"

"Believe me, I would have loved to. It's just that I now know that it is not meant for me. While I was fighting Abraham it became very clear to me, I could not win as a reaper. I have to much sympathy and emotion that it clouds my judgment sometimes. A grim reaper is suppose to be able to block out all emotions and do their job without so much as a second thought. The whole time I was fighting, I was thinking about what would happen if I killed him."

"Lolita, you have to take over for dad." I looked down at Blake. He looked confused, but I could tell he was happy in a way. I sat down next to him and held his hand. I looked up at my parent's, and for the first time I saw just how different I was from them. It wasn't just in my head, it was now physically proven that I am not like them.

"Look at me! Blake you talked to grandfather, but you didn't change. He said I'm more like mom, that's why I can't be a grim reaper."

That night no one said a word. We all went to our rooms without so much as a 'good night'. My hair and eyes still haven't changed back either. I don't know if they ever will to be exact. My hair is so bright and blond, it actually hurt my eyes. I still look like me, and I still feel like me, but I'm not the same. The spirits are still outside my window, only now they look at me like I'm a savior. They look at me with so much love in their eyes, it makes me happy. For the first time since my birth I actually have pure emotions towards these spirits. I like this, I like having emotions.

"Lolita?" I look towards my door, and I see Lenore poking her little head trough the door.

"Lenore, come in." She closes the door once she is inside. She jumps on my bed just like she used to when she was a little baby. I can tell she want to say something from the way she plays with ragamuffin. She only pokes his eye when she wants to say something really badly. I sit down next to her, and she pulls away from me.

"Are you really, my big sister?"

"Lenore? Of coarse it's me. What's wrong? What makes you think I'm not your sister?" She looks at me straight in the eyes. And I'm surprised to see all the emotions in her eyes. Lenore never really shows any emotions unless it is for something that 'amuzes' her.

"My sister has long black hair like my mom's. She is talented and beautiful, she works hard to be a grim reaper like my dad. You can't be my sister!" I have never heard Lenore scream before. She is normally so quiet, you only hear her speak when she wants to.

"Lenore! It's really me! I don't want to be the next grim reaper, I never really did." As soon as those words leave my mouth, I can feel so much weight being lifted off my shoulders. I smile, but that's before I see the shock and hurt in Lenor's face. She jumps off my bed and runs out my room, actually she runs right trough the door. I don't even bother trying to fix it, because I know what's coming next.

"SHE WHAT?!" The whole house shakes from the pour of his voice. I can feel his cold unforgiving chill run down my spine before he even comes near me. I can hear my mother and brother trying to calm him down, but I know it's no use. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. There's no use in trying to avoid what's coming next. If there's one thing I have known for sure in my sixteen years of life, it's that no one escapes the grim reapers wrath.

"LOLITA RUN!"

"Sweet heart go!" I can see him come into my room in his full reaper form. The sight is both amazing, and frighting. I can see the dark flames dancing at the tip of HIS scythe, they dance with desire to taste my flesh.

"You are a disgrace." No one escapes the grim reaper's wrath....not even his own daughter.