Blind Beauty | 17

Start from the beginning

“Thank you, my lady.”

“Arlette. You can call me Arlette,”

“Oh, miss, I don’t think the Prince or the King would like that. There are very, very strict rules here, specifically about that.”

Arlette didn’t know that. “There are?”

“I’m afraid so,”

They stayed silent after that.  The silence engulfing them both. It wasn’t uncomfortable or overwhelming, but nice and peaceful. Arlette understood that the guardians had limits, and she couldn’t make him cross them.

    Arlette felt that they got there way too fast. It was strange that knots were forming in her stomach at the thought that she’d be meeting him once again. But Arlette wasn’t really in her best state. All the things that happened today had her feeling a little unwell.

    Very unwell.

    And not too soon, the guardian was knocking very gently on the door, indicating that they were certainly here.

    “Come in,” said the voice on the other side. That voice that made the hairs on Arlette’s arms and neck rise up. That voice that echoed in the pits of her mind. That voice that horrified her and blew her senses away. His voice.

    The guardian slowly dropped his arm, opening the door for Arlette.

    She turned to him before stepping in. “Thank you,”

    “My pleasure,” he bowed his head—Arlette could feel it—then closed the door behind her once she was inside.

    As always, his presence screeched of power and authority and darkness and everything he was every time she was near him. The feeling had become all too familiar to Arlette.  She didn’t know if to be glad or frightened. But then again, there was always something more to it. Like a gentle pull. She just couldn’t figure it out.

    Arlette walked several steps forward before stopping.

    She didn’t know where in the study he was. The room was well filled with his scent. It felt like he spent most of his time here. It was ample too, and warm. She could hear the persistent but distant crackling of the wood in fire nearby. Arlette liked the sound. It soothed her explosive senses.

Why would he want her here for?

    Arlette hugged herself, despite the warmness of the room, as long seconds ticked by.

    “Are you alright?” His voice was surprisingly calm and that somehow shocked and angered Arlette.

    “Why wouldn’t I be?” she dropped her arms to the side, clenching her fists. She didn’t know why that question infuriated her so much.

    There was silence for a moment.

    Then he said, “You’re not, I can feel it.”

    Arlette froze, but stayed quiet. She didn’t know what to say. She didn’t know if what he was saying was true. But it was true. Arlette was not okay. There was too much going on. She didn’t know what to think, what to be believe in, what to do anymore. Arlette was lost. Completely and utterly lost. She’d said she’d made up her mind. But she hadn’t.  Arlette needed someone. She needed her dad.