Blind Beauty | 14

Chapter Catorce

    The air around Arlette was heavy and uncomfortable, like there was tension, but there really wasn’t. And it suddenly smelled of roses and smooth grass, one of the many things that she missed from nature. Arlette was questioning her senses and feels—they were all over the place, like she couldn’t control them, and she really couldn’t... or was it just a side effect to how she was feeling? Or was it both? She didn’t know. And as Arlette opened her mouth to say something anything—anything to question what Aaron was really seeing,  the sound drained at the slamming of a door behind her and poisoning darkness rapidly lurking in. It slapped Arlette, making shivers bitterly swim over her spine. The nice smell quickly faded away.

    Oh no.

    Everything just happened so fast.

    Arlette wished she could just disappear.

    “I told you not to go near her,” He was so angry, the flaming, vicious rage pouring off of him was sickening. The familiarity of his great darkness poured all over her, like pounding, hard rain. But then it felt like it was stroking her skin and senses and mind. It was overwhelming and feverish.

Arlette felt a rush of wind beside her, heard a deep groan coming from Aaron, then a hard slamming against one of the walls. He cried out in pure, blunt pain. The sound penetrated through the whole room, shaking the strong walls.

    Arlette fell to her knees at the sudden pain shooting deep inside her back. She screamed at the top of her lungs. And as she quickly felt, and heard, the bones cracking painfully, she let out another agonizing scream, feeling her back shattering into pieces. The excruciating, ruthless pain she felt spreaded through her whole body, making her shudder and tremble. Her nostrils filled with the pure stench of death as if there was a rotting body right under her nose.

    As she struggled, Arlette only knew one thing at the moment.

    She had let out the same savage scream that Aaron had, probably worse,  which could only mean one thing.

    And it would not end well.

    Everything then went frighteningly silent.

Arlette could feel her back bones achingly sticking out—never out of the skin though. Not being able to move a single muscle, she could feel them as if they were thick thorns coming from out of her own body, like she just suddenly grew them, but they hurt. The pain was blunt and gore. She felt like she could just die at any moment. As she breathed, they painfully bothered her insides and her chest, making her breathing shallow and ragged, forced also. Arlette hunched her back, trying to ease the pain, but ended up screaming horribly at her own move.

    Arlette only knew one certain, very clear thing.

    Her back was shattered. Badly.

    “Oh Lord...look at her back.” Aaron said quietly, completely astonished. It was like he, or they, were afraid to go near her, for the Prince did not do nor said anything either. It was like everything and everyone were frozen in spot. Arlette didn't sense a muscle move, even in her battered state.