Blind Beauty | 4

SORT OF EDITED.

Chapter Cuatro

What Arlette was going through was total madness. Anger had been blooming in her chest ever since she had arrived. They weren't supposed to come here, yet they did - she just couldn't understand her parents. They could've stayed someplace else... But now that she thought of it, there had been no other place to stay but this one.

            Her luck couldn't get any better, could it?

            Now she was here, feeling like a prisoner, not being able to go outside or get out of her room. Regardless of the space, she was feeling sickly claustrophobic and suffocated. The  emptiness of the room made her sad and miserable—she needed another living soul beside her, not just furniture and a bed. Even though her mom, dad, grandma and sisters came every day, it wasn't the same. It just wasn't.

            It had been almost three weeks since they moved here, and Arlette hadn't been with another soul except, of course, her family and the maid who sometimes brought her food. She thought that living a life like this would drain her soul. She needed fresh air, the sun, the feeling of grass and flowers brush against her skin, she needed to hear the river's furious current, and to feel the dying sun in the evenings. She missed all of that so much. Too much.

            Maybe it was because nature was always on her side. Nature had always helped her. It guided her and taught her.  This wasn't the way she was supposed to be. She needed nature, otherwise she'd feel weak, longing, and just plain miserable.

            Even though she'd tried to escape multiple times, either her parents or the guardians caught her. The first time, the guardians  were the ones to catch her. She had wondered how that had even happened since they didn't know anything about her. But then she thought of her parents and what they were capable of doing if it had to do with her safety. Maybe they'd made a deal, Arlette thought, or maybe they just convinced them not to tell the King since she was just a "little, weak, blind girl" - Arlette scoffed at herself. Stop the stupid self-pity.

            Arlette laid on her bed, still letting her mind go over the past events. Not much to say the least. Nothing had really happened. She shook her head. Maybe a lot happened and she didn't even know about it. She was so out of her own world, she felt as if she was going crazy. Never had she ever felt so... lost

            There was a soft knock on the door. Arlette sat up, wondering who it might be since it was way too early in the morning. Her mother's soft voice then found her ears, indicating that it was her behind the door. But Arlette stayed quiet, she didn't want to be with her mother right now. She'd been doing a good job avoiding her.

            "I know you're awake, Arlette." Her mother spoke from the other side of the door.

            She groaned, throwing herself back on the bed and pulling the soft blankets up to her chin and the pillows over her head as she heard her mother enter the room.

            After a few seconds, she felt the bed sink a little at the place by her feet where her mother was sitting.

            "Arlette," Her mother urged.