Chapter Eight: A day in the life of the Doctor

Carlisle pov

I am starting at the ceiling, cool air blowing through mine and my wife's bedroom as I catch my mind lingering away.

Vampires don't sleep so I'm stuck here, thinking for hours until I go in to the clinic.

For once I catch myself thinking to years ago, when I met my wife.

She isn't my mate, neither of us have given a flower to anyone. That's only something you should do when you just know.

I like to compare it to how wolves imprint on those who they are meant to be with, or love. It's something that will come out of nowhere, me and esme are with each other until we find that person. Though I have the suspicion that she wants to try to stay with me forever...

I know there's someone out there for me.. I've been waiting so long, what's another few decades if it takes?

The love of my life will be worth it. It has to be.. I can't live this "life" alone..

*Ding ding ding*

My alarm for 7am rings.

Time to go to work.

I get up, silently to not bother anyone else in the house. Lucky me Edwards out somewhere tonight, and hasn't been home. Else he might have heard my thoughts about Esme.

I walk today, thinking more as I take my time to get dressed. Normal dress up clothes and white coat on 5 minutes later, I go out to drive to work.

****Arrive to work**** 7:30am

I get to the hospital sooner than expected, but go to check on my patients from last night anyway. Human girls hearts beat fast and hard as I walk by, when I flash them a big smile.

It's tempting, but at my age nothing will get me to drink blood from a human, unless maybe my mate asked me to change them. And even then I would be able to stop.

During my rounds, my page goes off. Time to work.

This is a specialty case, it's about 10:30 am now, and someone's been shot.

I tend to them quickly, nurses obeying my orders to stop the bleeding. As soon as he's in surgery to get the nasty bullet out, it's about 2pm. I didn't realize how side tracked I've been today, taking a lot longer to go through my patients than normal.

I sigh quietly as I go around the corner with the next chart in hand. Car accident, possible concussion. Doesn't look great but..

Wait...

I look at the name listed : Isabella Swan.

This is the chiefs daughter, better be careful to not upset him any further. I'm sure whatever happened, he's mad.

I walk towards where she's supposed fo be waiting for a check up, the nurses already did a basic look over and decided nothing broken, or scrapped. Minor bruising maybe but so far it looks and smells to be okay.

Most car accidents smell a lot worse than this.

I pass by a young kid yelling. Looks to be yelling towards the other bed, tho I'm not sure why.

I hear " I'm sorry.. I didn't... I swear!... "

Then a quick swoosh sound signals his divder has been closed, and he stopped talking.

I sigh and continue my walk, it doesn't sound good over there so far. Gotta calm Charlie down.

In lost in thoughts on what to say to Charlie to let him cool off when I smell something..

Temptation like I've never felt before hits my throat, and I wince slightly.

What the hell..?

I'm not some low new born who cannot handle this. I close my eyes for a few seconds and continue, determined to let the smell fade into the back of my mind.

I've reached the place Bella's sitting, and open the curtain, my smile and hello to Charlie hiding my shock at the sudden stronger smell I smelt before

It's got to be her

I look at Charlie and let him vent about how the hooligan next door could have killed his daughter

From the smell of her, I see it was Edward who probably saved her from that fate

That or that's where he's been going these past few nights

Or both

I cringe inwardly, I cant try to have this girl. She's much too young to have her life destroyed by vampires. I'll tell Edward when I get home to stay away from her. Don't let her know who we are.

Time to get to work.

Bella's pov, back to when the crash happened

Im in an ambulance when I get out of the shock of being saved

Guess they think I'm dying, I lean back waiting to arrive to the hospital

When we arrive the haul me into a room and let me sit down, guess it's not bad enough I need to keep a neck brace on for more than 10 minutes.

It's boring to wait, nurses asking me things like today's date and my name.

I see the guy who hit my car in the spot next to mine, Apologising profusely because he could have killed me.

He probably would have if Edward wasn't there.. I want to know who he is..

I sigh, planning how to confront him about this. This along with his eyes changing colors is suspicious. Something has got to be mentally or physically wrong with him.

Does he think I won't accept someone who's like superman? Does he go around secretly killing bad guys?

That... Or he is the bad guy..

Putting that thought out of my mind, my dad arrives.

Already yelling at the kid who hit me, I tell him to calm down and he wrenches the divder closed. Guess it was inevitable.

"Charlie.." I start ..

Noise stops my speaking, I look up

There's a man standing there, he talks to Charlie but I don't hear it

White-blond messy hair, and light eyes..

He looks amazing, light pale skin without any blemishes

I lean forward just to catch myself

I wanted to touch his skin, to see if he was really there or If I was hallucinating

He glamces at me and I can see him swallow slightly and keep talking to Charlie, I wonder what's wrong ?

I start to come out of my daze as I hear "concussion... Be fine.. rest.."

Guess this man, who I would later know as Carlisle, had decided that I was good to go home and rest

I stand up and wable slightly, he leans towards me and catches my fall at my waist and my breath catches in my throat

I slowly move my head up, to look at him, time is moving as if in slow motion..

His eyes are a little lighter than before, but only for a second, when I blink I'm standing on my own feet and he's walking away, giving his best to Charlie

I shake my head and follow Charlie outside

What was that..?

Who was that..?

Are all of the people in this town so mysterious?