0.2

Y/N POV

8 months later

Looking in the mirror doesn't feel the same way anymore.

Whenever I look down at the small ranking insignia and the navy blue fabric that laid flat against my slightly curved features, I didn't feel a sense of pride. Looking down at the gold badge only increased the want to rip it right off.

Memories that I wished would stay buried in the bottom of my consciousness would float up to the surface faster than I could manage. I could even feel the uneasiness in my stomach stir to a point I wanted to hurl out the contents of my memories to relieve myself from the pain.

I would never be able to stomach the memories that surfaced from that very day.

Walking out the bathroom as I couldn't stand staring at my disheveled reflection, I made my way to my small kitchen to grab a banana and munch on it until it was time for me to eat.

Nowadays, I wasn't able to eat large portions of food. Any portion bigger than ¼ the size of a medium pizza caused me to feel sick to my stomach.

And coffee.

I could never stomach coffee.

Staring blankly at the refrigerator in front of me, my gaze shifted to the back of me as I heard a slight rustle occur from behind me.

A small smile appeared on my face when I snapped back to reality and noticed my golden retriever, Nala, wake up from her long slumber.

I idly watched as she sleepily crawled from her little dog bed in the corner of our small apartment and sit down at my heavily laced, black boots.

Ruff!

My smile stretched wider at her small bark.

She was the only light I had left in this dark world. I don't even know if I would want to keep living if she wasn't here to keep me company in these degrading times.

I lazily ran a light hand through her coat of gold fur, ruffling the back of her ears. She nuzzled her small head into my touch, rubbing it back and forth against the back of my head.

"Good girl. My little Nala."

Glancing at my wrist on her coat, underneath all the fur, I could see that the time was 6:42. Frowning, I removed my hand from her head. I could see how her usually joyful and cheery moods dropped slightly upon sensing the loss of my touch.

"Mommy has to go Nala. I'll see you later, baby." I sadly told her. I sunk down to her level to give her a small kiss on her forehead before I headed for the door.

I let out a sigh.

Here we go.

-

"Y/N!"

I whipped my head in the direction of my Lieutenant's booming, deep voice.

Attempting to juggle the mountain of files piled in my arms that were also blocking my field of vision, I wobbled my way in the direction of where his voice came from.