Part 20: The Lighthouse

Bradford is still trying to figure out what new job he can trust me with, so even though I'm healthy again, I have lots of free time. Although I'm itching to get back out on the basketball court, the one time I tried to join a game, I not only ended up being the last one picked, but I also hardly got a chance to handle the ball. Apparently the guys my age still haven't accepted me here, so lately I've been spending a lot of hours with Baker in the community room polishing my chess skills. And by polishing, I mean learning how to lose in new ways.

"Checkmate," he says, moving his rook to the edge of the board. Leaning back in his chair, he looks pleased with himself and reminds me of a chocolate Buddha with the buttons on his shirt straining against his belly.

"Dammit." I dart my eyes amongst my remaining pieces trying to disprove him, but it's clear that he's won. "Not again."

He laughs, gets up from his chair and begins to put on his jacket. "I told you to take your time and think about your moves beforehand. Chess is all about strategy. You're focusing too much on the endgame, but you're losing even before you have a chance to get there."

I begin to put away the pieces. "I'm not really a planner. I just take things as they come."

"You place too much faith in luck, when you should really believe in your own abilities. Trust your instincts, but be smart about it." He pats me on the shoulder as he leaves.

I roll the rook between my fingers while thinking about Baker's words. I turn to ask about a rematch, but the door is already shutting behind him. However, before it comes to a complete close, it slams back open again and Jed charges straight at me.

"I heard you've been hanging out with my girl," he says, grabbing my shirt with both hands and pushes me further into the chair. "I don't know what you're playing at, but I don't like it."

I'm finding the guy's intensity to be not only misguided, but also hilarious. I'm really tempted to laugh at him, but that reaction's gotten me in trouble much too often lately and I don't particularly want my ass kicked at the moment. So, in spite of my inclination, I try to remain as expressionless as I can. That's when I see that Jed didn't come alone; he was followed by Lola's brother, Tony.

Sweet. He brought back-up.

"You got me?" Jed snarls in my face and I realize I must have missed something.

I strain my brows - acting like I'm deep in thought - to stall for time to decide whether it's best to guess at the answer he's looking for or whether to admit I wasn't paying attention. That's when Nelly steps out from behind Tony.

"Let him go, Jed. I need Will to come with me," she demands with a sly smile playing on her lips.

He huffs, but Jed lets go before taking a step backward. I slowly stand, smile, and shrug my shoulders theatrically. Handing him the rook, I wink. "Checkmate."

Following Nelly out the door, I don't wait for Jed's reaction, but I'm fairly certain that I hear a small clink as the wooden chess piece hits the door behind me.

"Thanks for the save, but what's going on?"

Hurrying down the hallway, she doesn't turn around, but instead heads straight toward the stairs. "We're going out."

I instinctively check my watch. "But it's still daytime."

"I know, but where do you think everyone else is? It'll be okay. Don't you trust me?"