65. STEVE: As I Love You... 2

Start from the beginning

Kimmy's grin is devious and I know something's coming. "Y/N and I were inseparable as kids. I've been gone a lot but when I'm old and settled down I'll move next to door to wherever the hell it is that she ends up. I'll be her maid of honor at your wedding and the godmother of your children, so you better get used to seeing me." She grins. "We've discussed all of this extensively."

"Extensively?" Steve raises a brow and glances to me. "I thought you said you hadn't given it much thought?"

"Well, I mean..." I twiddle my thumbs distractedly.

"She has a whole Pinterest board for it! She's got the dress picked out and the venue and we even looked at cakes one time at a bakery when we went to the beach..."

"Okay, that's enough Kimmy." I laugh uncomfortably and reach to cover her mouth.

"Hey! Don't smudge my lipstick. This is expensive shit." She glares playfully. She points to the seat next to me. "Can I sit?"

"There's assigned seating," I explain sadly.

Kimmy picks up the placard with the stranger's name and then chucks it over her shoulder. "Not anymore!"

Steve cackles. He seems to like her already. Kimmy can tell, and she radiates pride about it.

"Come on—let's eat and drink and talk shit about everyone we see." Kimmy grabs a glass of champagne and instructs us to our seats. "And let's start with our stupid hoe of a cousin Jo-Jo. You'd never guess what the bitch sent me over Facebook messenger last week..."

Kimmy, Steve, and I sit talking for another hour more. We eat enough food to feed a small army and drink plenty of bubbly nectarine champagne. After the cake is cut most of the party is out on the dancefloor. Steve knows I'm not really into dancing so we stay seated and chatting with all of my extended family that we see. My aunt and uncle come up to say hi as well as a dozen more cousins (all eager to meet Captain America). A few old friends from high school are here and our neighbors from our street. Steve's gracious, friendly, and engaging with everyone he meets. It must be exhausting to have to make the acquaintance of everyone. But he's the biggest spectacle here: word has gone around that a real life superhero is here. He's almost gathering as much attention as Taylor and Chris.

Standing near the dancefloor, Steve has an arm wrapped around me while politely nodding along to my great grandfather's war stories. Papa Perkins is thrilled to have met his hero—the man on the enrollment posters that encouraged him to enlist at only 18 years old. The duo trade stories while Kimmy blabbers in my ear about something silly.

"Hey—I need a smoke. Come with me?"

"You know I don't smoke," I laugh lightly.

Kimmy groans. "I know, I know. Nicotine is bad for you," she mocks me lightly. "But just come keep me company. It'll be lonely without you."

"Fine, fine," I agree. I stand on my toes to kiss Steve's cheek quickly. "Be right back, boys." I smile at him and Papa—leaning over to give the latter a kiss on the cheek, too.

"I'll be here," Steve responds sweetly.

Kimmy takes me by the arm and starts to tug me out of the reception hall. Down the stairs we go until it's the ground level and the parking lot is just outside the doors. We step out into the darkness side-by-side.

"I still can't believe you ended up with THE Captain America," Kimmy giggles. She plops down onto the curb and pulls out a pack of cigarettes. She digs around for her lighter somewhere in her crowded purse. "You always said you wanted to date a celebrity."

"He's not a celebrity," I laugh as I sit down next to her. I stare up at the stars that are dimmed by the bright shining buildings all around us. It's not a big city like New York, but I like the country more. The stars are prettier there. Maybe someday Steve and I can live out there together with lots of puppies and babies running around. "He's just a normal guy."