65. STEVE: As I Love You... 2

Start from the beginning

"It's so wild," I mumble into Steve's ear. "It feels like just yesterday I was dressing her up in princess dresses and making her walk down the living room aisle with our cat."

"You made her marry a cat?" Steve laughs.

"Only when the dog was busy," I chuckle. I look up to where my sister sits longingly. While my eyes are up there I notice that my parents are at a seat a few down the row. My mother's next to Nick who's put beside his wife. My dad is of course there next to his youngest daughter. He laughs as they clink glasses. There's not even an empty seat for me. A knot of animosity builds in my stomach. "I should be sitting up there too." I can't keep the contempt out of my voice. I sit back and away from Steve.

Steve turns to me with a frown. "I know." He shakes his head. "I know, babe." He reaches out for my hand. I interlace our fingers and let them hang out on my lap beneath the table. "I'm sorry."

"Me too." I look down at my empty plate and wish it was piled with food then maybe I'd have something to do besides feel angry and sad.

A huge gourmet buffet has been catered from all the best restaurants in town. Dozens of dishes from Italian meatballs to fresh sushi are spread around the perimeter of the room. Steve and I wander around aimlessly looking for something that catches our eyes. He picks out a slice of lasagna first and then I'm tugging him towards the dessert foods.

"Dessert? Already?" Steve chuckles as I fill my plate.

"Duh. We have to get the best stuff before everyone else eats it all," I explain. I pick out a couple of the biggest chocolate covered strawberries. "Here—take a churro bite."

"Churro? I've never had one."

"Bullshit. I got you one in Disneyland," I remind him with an eye roll.

Steve's eyes go wide with recognition. "Oh yeah! I remember now. That was right before the scary elevator ride."

"Not that scary, Steve." I help myself to a piece of tiramisu. "Want?" Steve nods and I set one on his plate, too.

We're the oddest couple at the party we realize when we take our desserts back to our seats. A few of the older couples eyeball us as we giggle on our sugar highs.

Only fifteen minutes into the party I get a tap on my shoulder. I spin around and gasp. "Kimmy!" I squeal when I see my favorite cousin standing right behind me.

"YES BITCH IT'S ME!" She throws her arms open for a hug.

I jump to my feet and throw myself at her. We jump around and scream while Steve sips on his champagne and watches—chuckling.

"I didn't know you were coming!" Kimmy shouts.

"I didn't know you were in America!" I shout back. "What happened to living in Korea!?"

"Eh, I got bored. I'm moving to Spain next. Thought I'd come back for the summer first though." She grins. Then she notices my boyfriend sitting behind me. At her attention he stands to his feet. At his full staggering height he towers me—hand traveling to the small of my back. Even dressed in white with the sharp tie and nice black dress shoes he's recognizable to my cousin. Her slack jaw turns to a shit-eating grin. "Damn—I know you told me you were dating Captain America, but I never imagined he'd be this delicious in person."

Steve's face is blushing pink. I laugh and swat Kimmy's arm lightly. "Okay—keep your mouth shut beyond that. I've told you too many secrets to have you blabbering now." I shake my hand then go to introduce them. "Steve, this is my cousin Kimberly. She's my mom's sister's oldest daughter."

"And Y/N's favorite relative." Kimmy sticks out a hand. "Good to meet you, Stevie."

"Pleasure's mine," Steve smiles and shakes her hand.