Washed Ashore

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to any (song) names/persons mentioned in this story. This is a fictitious representation of events. Uses are for entertainment purposes only.

-

Dinah Jane.. Lost then Found

"DAD!" I screamed, my body lurching itself forward

My eyes flew open.

It was bright, too bright.

I blinked uncontrollably, breathing hard. I could feel the tears streaming down my cheeks.

"Dad," I sobbed again. I could see, but my brain couldn't keep up. I was panicking. Where was Gordon? Where was I?

It all came rushing back to me. The fishing trip, the boat, the ocean, the storm.

I tried to swim to him. My boots were filled with water, slowly pulling me down, the life jacket I wore, the only thing keeping me afloat. The arms of my sweater soaking up every available drop, dragging me farther from the remains of the boat, dragging me further from my father.

Water filled my lungs as I tried to scream. I did scream, but it was useless. He was lost. I was lost, to the sea.

I trusted my Dad. He assured me that although there was a storm off the coast, it would be another day before it reached the fishing territories along First Beach.

He was wrong.

In the bright light of the room, all I could see was Gordon's face, his flailing arms, slipping away from me.

I couldn't stop the tears.

"Shhhh, Dinah. It's okay," An angelic tone tried to soothe my frantic sobs. "You are safe here." My head whipped in the direction of the voice. My arm flew up over my eyes. She was standing near an open archway, the sunlight flooding in from behind her. My body forced me to look away. It was just so bright.

"Please. You are safe," she said.

Sound of her voice silenced my cries completely. The kindness behind it filled me with a unusual sense of security.

"Where-I," I stuttered. I was so confused.

She came towards me, stepping out of the direct sunlight.

Looking at her, there was just too much to process. Her hair, her face, her clothes. Stunning, yet different. I'd never see anyone, anything, like her.

She was older than me, but not by much.

Her curls seemed to defy gravity, bouncing lightly as she walked-the color a glossy jet black. Her eyes were a vibrant brown with green speckles, a gorgeous contrast to her dark, thick tresses. Her lips were full and pink with skin that shimmered. Probably the result of being out in the incredible sunlight that filled the room.