Thirty-Eight - The Behemoth Encounter

March 12th, 2009. Thursday, 11:19 pm. 

Destiny. 

Fate. 

Some might call it fate. Others might call it destiny. Some might believe in karma, while others might believe in deity. Perhaps others believe there is nothing of that sort at all. Whatever true destiny is or whatever true fate is, those who truly understand the process of life know that nothing is happenstance, nor coincidence, nor dumb luck, nor fluke, nor accident. Whatever the supernatural forces that are in existence in life, there is always one thing that can be counted on. 

The fates of humans are always watched over; both young and old, both bond and free, both black, white, and in between, both male and female; no respecter of persons – watched over like the twinkling of the night stars; forever trying those creatures that must exist upon this world, yet not without a little guidance and aid. 

A gentle breeze fluttered by, softly trilling through the air in a chilled contrasting warmth. 

Dick's breath caught in his chest at the unfamiliar voice. He whirled around to see a girl walking out of the shadows. His eyes widened as he recognized her. Her long white hair flowed in the breeze and her violet red eyes looked scornfully at him. 

It was Slade's daughter, Rose. 

"I knew it," said Rose in an undertone. "I knew I felt your presence out and about among the living. Had to see for myself what's so great about you." 

"Rose..." murmured Dick, shocked at seeing the girl. She really did look like— 

The girl's eyes had widened in fury as he spoke her name. In a split moment, she was upon him, her hand clasped around Dick's throat as she smashed him into the walled section of the roof. Dick choked, saliva bursting in a cough from his mouth at the terrible blow. He clutched at her wrist, trying to pull her away, but he found her strength too powerful. He had to look up at her; her height being a few inches taller than his own. She was reminding Dick deadly of Slade's power. 

"Let's get one thing clear," hissed Rose. "I'm Sadie. You're to call me Sadie." 

"Why?" asked Dick hoarsely from the pressure on his neck. He was having a difficult time breathing; his breath catching in his throat. 

"Rose died a long time ago." 

There was a chilling sound to her voice, something Dick had only heard the like once from Slade – and that had been when he wanted to kill Two-Face for hurting him. There was something so dark and foreign to the sound of her voice, almost as if it was lost in the void. 

It was actually extremely terrifying. 

"Let me go." 

"Why should I?" snapped Rose. Then, her expression turned mocking. "Well, aren't you just the cute little brother. I can't believe dear Daddy adopted you. I honestly don't understand why he'd waste his time on such a weakling like you." 

Dick's breath caught in his chest, dying in his throat. The blood roared in his ears and tears began to prickle at his eyes. 

'A weakling like you.' 

Was that right? After all that Dick had been through, was he truly weak? Was it weakness enduring a capture and then turning that capture around completely to become something amazing? Was it weakness to find it in his heart to fill it with love for another person? Was it weakness to forgive? Was it weakness to look forward towards a new future where he could fill it with lots of time being the best son he could be?