Thirty Two

It was close to 12 in the night when the four of us arrived home. I waved goodbye to Troy and Violet before shutting the door softly. The boys were standing near the foot of the stairway with uncertain expressions dancing across their faces. I knew what they were waiting for. I gave them a small smile and gestured upstairs. With identical grins, the three of them raced up to my bedroom. I smiled at their receding backs. It struck me time and again that these were my boys and each time it felt like a bolt of lightning awakened my entire body. As I moved to switch off the lights and head up to bed I noticed a letter sitting on the coffee table. It was fancy and, emboldened in bright gold letters at the center, was my name. I already knew what the letter was before I'd opened it. It brought back memories of a more innocent time. Nostalgia pressed down on my heart as I traced the letter with a sad smile.

It was a formal invitation to the family Christmas dinner that my grandfather was hosting next weekend. It had been tradition to send out formal invitations despite the fact that we were family. Nonno always said that it made the event more special. I suppose this dinner would be special either way. The entire family would be meeting for the first time in years. I could hardly remember them all as more than just a blur of faces.

I turned the letter over and over in my hands. For the first time in awhile, things were going right in my life. I was so afraid my mother would ruin the fledgling relationship the four of us shared. It had been evident that she'd disliked them. The dislike had been mutual. Should I invite them to come with me or not? Was it more trouble than it was worth?

"Roe?"

I turned to Mikhail who'd come downstairs looking thoroughly confused. He glanced down to the letter and his brows furrowed in confusion. Before he could open his mouth to speak, the other two boys came downstairs as well.

"Is something wrong," Ivan asked. I shook my head slowly and refused to meet their eye. I wanted these boys there, to introduce to all my family and my grandfather, who they hadn't even met. But I knew I'd be met with disapproval from some of the older members of the family. As liberal as some of them were, I doubted they would approve of our relationship. Not to mention my mother who would no doubt spur some trouble.

"It's an invitation to the family Christmas party next week." Ivan and Alexei looked befuddled but Mikhail immediately understood. He gave me a tentative smile as he took my hand in his.

"Roe if you want us to come we'll come. If you don't then that's alright as well." I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Why did I get so stressed over such little issues?

"I want you there but I can't promise that my mother will be kind. Also, some of my family may not approve of what we have." All three boys mulled over my statement as they remembered their disastrous first meeting with my mother. Finally Alexei seemed to reach a conclusion.

"It's alright darling. Besides, I doubt it could get worse than the first time we met her. As for the rest of your family, I'm sure we can manage. It's just one dinner." Alexei said with a laugh. I smiled falsely. I knew there would be some sort of conflict on that night but it was settled. They would come to the dinner. With them, I could handle any accusations thrown our way. As they turned to head back upstairs I stopped them once again. I didn't want to end this day on a sour note. I suppose this was a good time as any. They all spun around to face me once again with slightly annoyed expressions. After all it was extremely late in the night.

"I got these a while ago. They're keys for each of you, to the house. I suppose since you guys live here anyway it would only be fitting." I didn't know what to do with my hands, my face, anything as I handed a key to each of them. They looked like I'd just proposed to them. Then again, this was a pretty big step in our relationship. Maybe I'd rushed this. I felt an embarrassed flush warm my face and neck.