"Do your parents ever act like that?" I ask him, mostly out of curiosity.

He shakes his head and leans closer to me. He touches my cheek. "Maybe we can be like that."

I stay quiet, looking into his deep blue eyes. He's always had a way of looking at me that no one else has. I've always wondered if it meant what I wanted it to.

I feel his lips on mine. It's so tender, despite how fast it happened. He lifts my chin, angling my face with his as he coaxes my lips open. Our tongues meet. All I can think is that he tastes like Skittles.

He groans as I pull him closer to me, and I thread my fingers through his hair. He has great hair. I don't know why he always insists on hiding it under his baseball cap.

We kiss for a long time. My stomach is filled with butterflies and something else—excitement and fear that this is going to change everything.

When we separate, he's smiling widely. I can't help but do the same.

"Jesus, Audi. Why haven't we been doing this the whole time?"

I chuckle, and he leans in to peck me on the lips again.

"I really like you, Audi. I'm sorry I didn't give you a rose today. I wasn't sure how you'd take it. I've liked you for a while now, and you look so pretty without your braces. I mean—not that you weren't pretty before. You've always been. But then Brian what's-his-face gave you a rose and—"

"I really like you too, Lucas," I say, interrupting him before he rambles any further. "I was just afraid to show it because of our parents. And I prefer Skittles any day of the week."

He smiles, but then becomes worried. "Maybe we should keep this to ourselves. I don't think our parents would let us hang out so much if they knew."

I nod in agreement, but at the same time, I think about how I don't like the idea of lying to them.

"Maybe just for now until we're a bit older," he says. "It's just that your dad is always looking at me suspiciously. Like he wants to rip my head off."

I draw back. "He does?"

"Yeah. It's weird. Sometimes he looks at my dad the same way. Like he knows something."

I frown. This is more complicated than I thought. Why would my dad be suspicious of them?

"Don't worry, Audi. It's us. We'll figure it out, okay?" He says it with such conviction, and then kisses my forehead sweetly. I just have to believe him.

Suddenly the door to my room flings open. My dad barges in. "How many times do I have to tell you to keep the door open, Claudia?"

Lucas and I jump out of bed. "Sorry, Otosan," I say, addressing my father in Japanese.

"What were you doing in here?" he asks.

"Nothing," I answer weakly. "We finished our homework and were watching a movie."

"Don't lie to me!" he yells, and the sting across my cheek doesn't register until I'm backing away in shock. He's never hit me before.

"Don't touch her!" Lucas shouts, and I can only watch as he lunges at my father.

I can't believe what's happening. They wrestle with each other until my father takes control. He hits Lucas. I scream for him to stop.

"Get out of my house this instant!" my dad yells, shoving Lucas towards the door.

"Audi!" Lucas shouts, searching for me as he struggles against him.

My dad grabs him by the collar and slams him against the wall. "Don't speak to my daughter ever again! Don't even look at her! It's over!"

I'm hysterical. Tears stream down my face as my father hurts Lucas. I keep begging him to stop.

Lucas isn't giving up. I'm so afraid for him. I don't know what else my dad will do to him, but I'm fearing for his life. My dad is in a blind rage. I don't know what he's capable of right now.

"Lucas, please go," I choke out between sobs. "Please—leave!"

Through my blurred vision, I can see the hurt in his eyes. I'm only trying to protect him.

And then Lucas surrenders.

I see the moment he stops fighting and lets my dad drag him out of my room, taking him away from me.

"Lock your door, Audi!" he yells from the hallway.

I run towards my door, locking it with trembling hands. I head to my window. It's snowing. Lucas walks out into the front yard and looks up in my direction. He lifts his hand up over his eyes to shield the snowflakes, preventing me from seeing his expression.

I flatten my palm against my window. I want to tell him so many things; that I hope he's okay, that I'm sorry, that I love him.

I try to remember what his kiss felt like, but all I can picture is my dad throwing him out of my room. Lucas looks back in the direction of my front door, but then walks towards his house. My heart sinks with each of his steps as I watch him walk away.

"Claudia!"

The boom of my dad's voice outside my door makes me jump. I back up into the corner behind my bed.

"You are not to speak to that boy again. You hear me?"

I try to clear the massive lump inside my throat. I'm too scared to answer. My entire body quakes with fear. I've never been afraid of my dad, but at this moment, I'm terrified of him.

Eventually he steps away. I slump to the floor, hugging my knees to my chest.

And then I cry myself to sleep.

Author's Note: Poor Audi! She had her first kiss and lost Lucas all on the same day

Author's Note: Poor Audi! She had her first kiss and lost Lucas all on the same day. This experience was very traumatizing to her so I thought it was important to highlight it through a flashback.

Why do you think Claudia's dad was so angry? :(

The song of the chapter is "Only" by RY X. It gives me the chills every time I listen to it!