Six

I wake up with a start, but relax when I feel Lucas clutching my hand.

Right. We're at my log cabin.

"Sorry, Audi, but you need to wake up now."

I nod, and he helps me straighten up in bed. I wince, grabbing onto my shoulder.

"You okay?"

"Why do I feel like there's lead inside my brain?" I whisper, covering my face.

"You need to eat. Here, I got you some soup."

I open my eyes to look at him. He has a tray of food beside him.

"I put it in a mug so you can just sip it," he says, handing it to me.

"Thank you," I reply, grateful for his ingenuity.

I take small sips of the soup, and my stomach seems to agree with it. Lucas watches me with a raised eyebrow, as if I'm about to spit it in his face any second.

"Relax," I say. "It's good and my stomach is cooperating at the moment."

He relaxes, but is still watching me curiously. His blue eyes stand out like they always do, even through the giant fog filling my head.

"Did you really help me shower last night?" I ask. It's a serious question, one that I've been debating asking since I woke up.

His lips twitch. "Yes, Audi."

"Okay. Just making sure my brain is working properly. It kind of feels like it's all over the place. My body feels like I'm eighty years old right now."

"Your brain is fine, and so is your body. Trust me. You just need to recover."

I don't have time to process his comment as he hands me my medicine. I take it and finish the rest of my soup.

"Do you want to walk around for a bit?" Lucas asks.

"Maybe later. I still feel tired. I kind of want to go back to sleep. Is that bad?"

"No, it's good to rest. I just wanted to make sure you ate something."

I get under the covers again. "Okay. Thank you, Lucas. I'll try not to be so boring all week."

"Don't worry, Audi. I was plenty entertained last night."

I would swat him if I had the strength or energy. Instead, I try to hide my face under the covers, and he chuckles as he adjusts a pillow behind my back. I realize he does this to prevent me from rolling over in my sleep, and it warms my heart that he seems to think of everything.

❄️

When I wake up again, my body is covered in sweat. A quick glance at my phone shows that it's almost midnight.

Damn. I slept all afternoon.

I make my way to the bathroom to change and wash up, then I head to the kitchen. I try to keep quiet in case Lucas is sleeping. My stomach seems to be in a permanent knot, but I manage to eat some yogurt and a banana.

When I head back to my bedroom, I notice that the door to Lucas's room is ajar. The lights are off, but he has the TV on. He's lying down in bed with his head propped up against his arm. He must have noticed me creeping because he looks in my direction and straightens.

He grins. "Hey, you're up."

I smile and push open the door. The light from the TV illuminates his face. It occurs to me that I'm interrupting him. I stay by the door.