Treaty

“Will you tell me what happened to Brad now?” Alpha Green asks with a defeated look.

I sigh and rub my forehead. We have been sitting here for about five minutes and all Alpha Green did was stare at me.

It is as if he can’t believe that he has finally seen the eyes behind the shades of one of the most dangerous werewolf hunters in all time.

Exposing our secret like that was dangerous, I admit, but when the future Cassie told me that the pack will know of our secret in the future, who cares?

“I will tell you but only if we make a deal,” I compromise, staring into his eyes.

Alpha Green looks at me cautiously. “What kind of deal? Now that I know the future Beta of my pack’s mate is your twin brother, I know that you will not hurt her. I can assure you that my pack wouldn’t dare hurt your brother or you.”

“It’s about my adoptive sister, Cassie. I know that she smells like a rogue to you, but I can assure you that she’s far from it,” I say.

Alpha Green’s eyebrows rise before drops. “Then I’ll order my pack not to attack her either. I would like to formally apologize for my behavior upon your sister earlier.”

I nod. “Apology accepted. It’s not just that, Alpha. I would like my sister to join the pack.”

His eyes widen in surprise. “Why?”

I take a deep breath before saying, “Listen, your pack is in grave danger. The rogues who killed Brad has done something horrible over my sister. She’s not just a werewolf, but a very dangerous one. If I hadn’t gone after Brad, she would have been dead or worse.”

Alpha Green shivers when I said ‘worse’. “What do you mean by ‘worse’?” he asks boldly.

I sigh. “I can’t tell you that. It’s her story to tell, not mine.”

Alpha Green looks disappointed but he doesn’t push, which I’m grateful for.

“The rogues who killed Brad have also created a new species of vampire-werewolf hybrids and…”

“Vampires?” Alpha Green asks out loud in surprise.

I nod. “Vampires exist, Alpha Green. There are many things you don’t know about this world.”

Alpha Green looks like his brain is going to explode with the amount of information I have given him. “Proceed, 85.”

“Those pack of hybrids are on the way to GurneyCity, but in order to go there, they have to pass through…”

“MeadowFalls,” Alpha Green answers for me. “I see.”

“Yes. Nate and I need your help to secure the north side of the town. Nate, Grace and I will secure the rest,” I instruct.

He rubs his chin thoughtfully. “Does Gwen know about this arrangement?”

I shake my head. “She must not know or her life will be in danger.”

Alpha Green thinks about it. “You’re right. She’ll get hurt of not knowing about this when this is all over though.”

I offer him a small smile. “We’ll think about that later. So do we have a deal?”

“Protecting the north side of town, yes. About your sister, I’ll talk to her about it. Is it alright if only a few trusted pack warriors will know about this situation?” he asks.

I shrug. “It’s your choice. Nate and I will train you and your pack warriors on how to kill these hybrids. They are not as easy as you think they are. Do not let Antoine know of this either.”

“I need to ask you something, Melanie,” he says after a moment of silence, looking concerned.

I jerk a little in surprise. “Yes…?”

“I heard a lot about you and Nate from Gwen and Antoine. I noticed that you have been distant from them sometimes. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that everyone is busy with their mates to think about you,” he says, almost fatherly.

At that very moment, I have an urge to cry. Alpha Green sounds so much like dad.

I look down at the ground. “No, Alpha. I have other plans in mind.”

Alpha Green continues to stare at me with concern and I hate it. Why does he care for me? He should be more fatherly to Emma or Nate. Not me. I’m a nobody. I’m just going to get out of here and join the HQ agents when all of this is over.

“You know, my mate died during childbirth when giving birth to our second child. That day, I was broken. I felt like I have nothing to live for without my mate. It took me years to come back to my senses and lead the pack. I just want to let you know that even if you’re not a part of the pack or anyone’s mate, we’re here for you and Cassie.”

“I’ll hold you up on that promise, Alpha, after this battle. Please try to convince Cassie to join the pack and treat her equally,” I request.

“Are you sure you’re okay, Melanie?”

“Yes,” I snap at him. “We’ll start to training tomorrow after school.”

With that, I walk out of the office and the pack house.

Author's Note

I'm having the biggest headache in the world because of this bloody exams. *groans out loud* Where was I? Or right... This book is close to finishing. Close, so close, so very close. But not too close. Ugh. Any suggestions for the sequel to be called? 

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.