Sweet Bitter Dream

Gwen and Nate are grinning at me, holding each other’s hand. They look older, more mature. That’s when I spot a ring on Gwen’s finger.

She’s engaged to Nate!

A pang of jealousy hit me, knowing that I won’t find love just like Nate and Gwen.

The next thing I know, they start to walk away from me. I try to go after them but it seems as if my legs are glued to the ground. I look down to see that I’m not on the ground. I’m floating in thin air.

Suddenly, two children, a boy and a girl are dancing around me. They both look like Nate and Gwen. It hits me; they are Gwen’s and Nate’s children.

The girl takes my hand softly and leads me forward. This time, I’m able to move.

I try to ask the girl where we are going but nothing escapes my lips.

What is going on? Where is this girl taking me?

“Don’t be scared, Aunty,” she says. I flinch. She sounds just like Gwen and she calls me ‘aunty’!

A bright light appears out of nowhere, forcing me to close my eyes.

“Melanie!” a voice sounds far, far away. I am too far to recognize. “Wake up!”

I feel someone touching my cheeks. Instinctively, I punch that person.

“Ouch! Why did you have to punch your dear old brother?” Nate whines.

I open my eyes to see him holding his cheeks. I can’t help but burst into laughter at his pained reaction. His pain is my amusement.

“Yeah, yeah. Laugh all you want. We better get ready, it’s five in the morning,” Nate grumbles, walking out of my room.

I jump out of bed in excitement and get ready.

Today is the day! The day to save 78 and Brad!

My phone rings. I glance suspiciously at my phone. Who would call me at 5 am in the morning? The number on the screen is unknown.

I answer the call. “Hello?” I ask in my Hunter voice. Better to be safe than sorry.

“Melanie?” Gwen asks in shock. “Is that you? You sound different.”

I want to mentally hit myself for being stupid to use my Hunter voice. “Gwen? Why are you calling me at this time of the day?” I ask, faking grogginess in my voice and yawn out loud.

“Oh… Where is Nate?”

I narrow my eyes at my mirror, as if my reflection is Gwen. “He’s asleep,” I lie.

“Can you check on him? Please?” she pleads.

“Why?” I ask, confused at her strange behavior.

No answer. She answers after ten seconds of hesitation. “I have this feeling… That he’s hurt.”

“Hurt?” I ask, running towards Nate’s room. I’m afraid if maybe a rogue managed to get him. Or 116 decides to change his mind. All kinds of disastrous scenarios runs through my head as I barge into Nate’s room. Nate looks at me as if I’m crazy. He’s buttoning up his hunter shirt.

“Melanie?” Gwen asks. I have forgotten that I’m still holding my phone.

“Nate is okay,” I reply, leaving Nate’s room. “Why do you think he’s hurt?”

She hesitates again. Not as long as before though. “It’s… a kind of pain feeling on my cheeks… We have this kind of… connection and… Uh…”

On her cheeks? Connection?

I know that the connection has something to do with the mate bond, but the pain on her cheeks? Did she feel Nate’s pain? Maybe something hit him.

I chuckle when I remembered that the pain came when I punched Nate in the morning. Gwen must have felt that punch.

“I have to go, Gwen. Goodnight, or may I say good morning,” I say.

She giggles a little. “Alright. Have fun at your grandma’s.” She hangs up after that.

I am amazed at how fast their bond is formed. They are together for a few days and I can already see how happy Nate is. Now that the happy couple is separated, Nate is a little grumpy. He keeps complaining about the stupid rogues making life difficult for us and he wants to get back to Gwen soon.

I guess that I have go to start getting used to Nate’s complaining or one day, I’m going to make sure he never speaks again.

Author's Note

Hello, it's been awhile, huh? I guess my excuse is school. Yes, I go to school too! That's why I've been MIA for a while. Anyway, don't forget:

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.