Surprise Visit

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping . . . Not! Nate keeps saying, “Wake up. Wake up. Wake up.” 

Oh God! He is so annoying! I grab the nearest pillow and throw it to the direction of his voice. I can hear him catch the pillow. 

He starts to sing terribly, “Wake up, dear sister. Wake up and tell me what is it you hide. Wake up, dear sister, or else I’ll keep singing! Wake up . . .”

Before he can continue, I yell, “Alright! I’m up! Shut up!”

I sit up to see Nate smirking at me. I glare at him. 

“Take a bath. We’re going to ditch school today so you can tell me what’s going on,” he orders and leaves me alone in my room.

I glare daggers at where he left. He just ruined my sweet dream about chocolate world. 

I didn’t tell him about mates yet. I went to bed straight away last night. Nate is so impatient that I promised I would tell him in the morning. 

Taking my sweet time, I take a long bath. I meet up with Nate in the kitchen who is sitting at the counter, with a dreamy look on his face. Believe it or not, I see drool coming out of his mouth as he sighs. 

I tap on his shoulder, making him jump at my touch. 

Thinking of your girlfriend already? I tease him in sign language. 

He scowls at me. 

“Why do I feel like a love-sick puppy?” he yells in frustration and then bury his face in his hands. 

I chuckle. 

Didn’t you read the book about werewolves? 

He looks confused. “What book?” 

My jaws drop. 

“All this time, I’m the only one reading the bloody book and what does my brother do? Dreaming about his mate! It’s been one month and he has been convincing me that he is reading the book. No wonder he is stupid enough to not recognize his mate . . .” I keep babbling until Nate speaks up. 

“Slow down. You talk too fast for me to understand.” 

I stomp my way to the living room and pick the book that lay untouched on the coffee table. 

Childishly, I throw the book at the back of Nate’s head. 

He falls off his chair with a loud thump. 

I laugh so hard until I’m out of breath. 

Nate picks up the book and sits himself back up on the seat. 

Turn to the mate chapter. In there holds your answers. Now I’m going to town for breakfast. Enjoy reading. With that, I take my Ferrari keys and drive to town. At least the town of Meadow Falls will be a little quiet at this time since it’s a school day. 

Uncle Sam’s café is empty except for an old werewolf couple. 

I order a cup of coffee. 

I am about to hand the menu back to the waiter when a familiar voice says, “A cup of coffee for me as well.” 

That voice belongs to Director. 

I tackle him with a hug. 

“Miss me already, 85?” he asks. 

“It’s been seven years, Director. Of course I do.” 

Director is currently the head of Hunter Headquarters. No one knows his real name so we call him Director. He has white hair and stunning blue eyes. Even if he’s sixty, he is still good looking. He looks like a tourist with a camera bag slung over his shoulder and shades on his head. 

He is one of the hunters who told Nate and I about werewolves. He spent a week with Nate and I after our parent’s death. He was the one who taught us the basics about hunting and the rule. My parents and Director were close friends. We met him a few time before and we called him ‘Uncle 5’ because our parents never knew his real name. Director also doesn’t know our parent’s name and never asked me or my brother about it.

Uncle Scott was Nate’s favorite uncle but mine is Director.  

The last time I saw him, he was about to leave us for the HQ building as he earned the title ‘Director’. He told me, “You and 86 are going to be a legend someday, 85. I have a feeling about it.” 

He was right. 

Nate and I became The Deadly Twins.

Director and I take a seat. 

“So where is 86?” Director asks. 

“He’s at home. I know, after 7 years of not seeing you, you must come for a reason even if we bumped into each other coincidentally,” I say with a raised eyebrow. 

The waiter interrupts us to serve us our coffee. 

Director takes a sip of his coffee. 

“Ah . . . Straight to the point, just the way I like it,” he says with a chuckle.

He nods at the old werewolf couple. 

I instantly got the message. “How long are you staying?” 

He shrugs. “A few hours maybe. I have to make my way to Great York to meet 78 and 116.” 

“You’ve been busy,” I comment. 

“Ever since I accepted the job, yes. I heard you’re planning to be a HQ agent.” His eyes hold curiosity in it. 

I take a sip of coffee. “It’s just a plan. I might apply next year when I turn 18.” 

“Imagine, three years of training, seven years of service and to me, it will be time for me to retire and hand over the Director title to you. What do you say?” 

I laugh at his grand plan. 

“Director, slow down there. It’s just a plan,” I say, still giggling. 

He grins at me. 

“Are you done with your coffee? There are things I must inform and time is our enemy.” He glances down at his watch with a frown. 

I finish the last sip of coffee and pay for both our coffees. Director, of course, wants to pay but I insist. 

We walk to my Ferrari. He gasps at my car. 

“Rich youngsters these days,” he mutters under his breath. I laugh quietly. 

His Mercedes is parked next to my Ferrari so I lead the way as he drives behind me. As soon as we reach the house, we got out of our car. 

“Director, I have to warn you of something,” I say, my hand on the doorknob. 

I turn around to see Director looking confused. 

“I trust you not to say a word about what I’m about to say to a soul. No werewolves or anyone from HQ knows of this. I see you as a family so I hope this secret remains a secret,” I say with a stern expression. I only use this tone when I’m in hunter mode which makes me sound so much older. 

Director looks surprised at my change of tone but ignore it. 

“I promise you, 85, that I will keep this information to myself until I accept death with open hands.” His eyes show that he is telling the truth. 

I take a deep breath before telling him, “86 is deaf.”

Author's Note

Comment. 

Vote.

Fan.

-M.