12 (SE)

I stalk Gwen who is still in her wolf form running in circles, trying to wear herself out. I steal a quick glance at my watch to see that it very late and knowing Nate, he will be up waiting for me. I quickly send a text to Nate for him to go to sleep.

As soon as I hit the send button, Gwen is out of my sight. I sigh silently in irritation.

This girl has been running for hours! When is she ever going to stop?

At that very thought, she stops to howl under the moon. A sign of a sad wolf. I stay in the trees, out of her sight. I have to admit I was a little clumsy when I was following her, but I don't think she noticed that she was being followed.

I peek to see her wolf form clearer.

Her fur is brown just like the one Nate and I saved a few days ago from the rogue. She is slightly bigger than other female wolves since she is the future Beta of her pack. If I stand next to her, she would probably be as close as my height in her wolf form.

This is why we hunters avoid being pounced by werewolves. Once they do, they can give us a concussion in an instant. We hunters are humans so even if we train hard, we can't avoid being knocked out by being jumped on a humongous mythical creature.

We are still humans. The only differences between hunters and humans are our strength which is slightly higher than a human’s and our knowledge on killing werewolves.

When she finally stops howling, Gwen walks towards a nearby stream for a drink. I lean forward a little only to hear the branch I'm on crack.

The werewolf stiffens and looks at my direction. I quickly move away from the spot before she catches sight of me.

I hate thin fragile branches.

She stares with chocolate brown eyes at the unmoving branch for another few more minutes. After she lost interest, she goes back to drinking.

I let out a small sigh of relief. If Gwen actually catches me, I would be in deep trouble. She might either try to kill me or run for her own life away from me. I am still in my hunter attire so she might think that I'm one of the Deadly Twins.

To tell the truth, spying is so much difficult than killing werewolves.

But it can be good practice for me. You see, Hunter Headquarters provide jobs to hunters who are interested in becoming an HQ Agent. In order to be a HQ Agent, there are a few requirements to fulfil. First, one has to be a hunter for over five years or so. After that, Director will have to approve you. Once selected, you will have to go through three years of intense training, which I heard is torturous but worth it. After those years of training, you will graduate to officially become an HQ Agent. The graduation day will be the day that will change your life forever, or so I heard.

There are many details I might miss out because the knowledge I know of HQ is very limited. No one really knows how HQ works except for those who are working for HQ. Whatever I know about HQ are either rumours or books published by HQ. The thing about HQ is that they rarely publish about themselves since they're super secretive and all.

One of the HQ Agents' tasks is to spy on hunters 24/7 and report to HQ if the hunter they're assigned to breaks the rules. Director has the power to give the green light for the agent to kill the hunter if the hunter is found guilty.

When I reach eighteen, I want to sign up to be an agent. It is Nate’s and my dream since we were young.

However, there is another requirement that I know of to be their agent: You must not fall in love with anyone unless if the person you're in love with is an agent too. Also, to be an HQ Agent, you have to cut all family and friend ties.