Chapter 16: Hotel, Kashgar, Communist China, 1960

The phone rang.

"Should we answer it?" Marion asked.

"It could be Mac. Or the contact." Indy reached for the phone. "Hello?"

"Siden."

"Strasse," Indy replied tensely.

"No names."

"I'm familiar with the routine."

"I've heard something about them."

"What?" Indy tensed. "Where is she!?"

"According to reports, there were two spies, a man and a woman... were shot this morning."

"NO!" Indy's jaw tightened, and a tortured animal cry came from his throat. "Who did it?"

"We're not sure."

"You better get sure!" Indy snarled, slamming down the phone. He whirled around.

Marion looked a bit frightened. Indy's gaze softened. "They... killed... her." He swallowed, shaking in rage. "Marion – I'm gonna kill 'em!"

"Indy..."

"Marion, go home where it's safe. I don't want anyone else to..." Indy's fingers slipped as he tried to load his revolver.

Marion took the gun from Indy and shoved it into her purse. "I won't go! Em was my kid too!"

Indy took Marion by the shoulders. "No. I don't want to loose you too!"

Marion kicked him, turning out of his grip. "Indy! You've just found me! Now I'm not leaving you!"

"Marion, you were almost killed when you were captured by the Nazis -"

"Jones," Marion whispered, touching his face. "You don't think like a woman."

"Neither does Em – er, did, Em," Indy choked. "Marion..." Indy wrapped his arms around her and buried his head in her shoulder.

Marion sighed, patted Indy's shoulder, held him with one arm and dialed a number on the phone. "Hello?"

"Siden," Mac said.

"Strasse," Marion finished. "How accurate was that report?"

"It wasn't a report – just a source."

"So it could be false."

"Yes. But my source is good."

"Who is he?"

"She runs a safe house in Kashgar – but she's shifty, so you'll have to pay her off. You'll know her right away – there aren't many blondes in China."