Chapter 13: K.B.G. Interrogation Room, Undisclosed Location, 1960

Emily awoke lying on her back, a bright light shining into her eyes. She tried to sit up but her hands were bound to the table.

"Miss Jones?" a strange accent asked.

"Dr. Jones," Emily corrected, looking around. "Where am I?"

"In Samaquand."

"Ancient city on the Silk Road," Emily murmured. "Invaded by Russia... right?"

"Yes. You are correct."

"Cheers."

"You were saying some interesting things."

"Like what?"

"Something about being in a cave-in at a tomb – then the Nazis stealing treasures, the loss of your mother, you not knowing your father, and... a scroll fragment brought to you by a Mackenzie – and Manifold's trench."

Emily frowned. "Uh... yeah. Manifold's Trench. It's a deep trench in the ocean off the western American shore."

"That's the Mariana Trench."

"Manifold Trench is north of that," Emily said.

"That's not what you were saying. It seems that Mr. Manifold did not treat you kindly – then there's the person who shot you in the arm. You seemed a bit annoyed at him." The man paused. "I've never heard such language – especially from a lady – in so many different languages."

Emily frowned. Hanging out with men who's vocabulary consisted of swearing in different languages had been getting on her nerves – she'd have to watch her mouth. "I work with a lot of men."

"This, I can tell."

"Show yourself!" Emily snapped.

A man stepped from the right.

"Closer!" Emily growled, not being able to see because of her eye.

The figure came into view.

Their escape had been cold. The snow had pounded the truck windshield. Indy had nearly run off the road. They'd walked through snow, half dead, and the other half freezing quickly. Emily had been fourteen when her father's spy ring had been discovered in 1956. They had been one of the few to make it out of Russia alive. But if Indy hadn't been rescued by another spy who had given his life for the father and daughter to escape –

"Chang," Emily growled. "You chased my father and I out of Russia, and killed Bernard."

"You were only a child."

"I was fourteen," Emily replied. "And Bernard gave you that scar."

"No. Your father did."

"Only because you tried to hurt me."

"And now, you and I are alone, once again. And your father is not here to save you."

Emily stared at her opponent. "And I'm not afraid of you."

"Why not?"

"If you had wanted to hurt me – you would have done so. You are not one to wait for your pleasures. I was out – drunk, dead asleep. Another thing, you lied. I'm still in Kashgar."

Chang hid his surprise well, but Emily saw it, as his jaw twitched. "How can you prove it?"

Emily smiled. Chang's rough hand slammed across her face. "Hit my jaw!" Emily silently willed him. "Hit my jaw and you'll never be able to hurt anyone again with that hand! Hit me as hard as you can! I'll never give in to you!"