Burning Up

We entered the vicinity Fire. It was hot, like when you stand next to a burning flame in the middle of summer in the Caribbean. We ended up joining a group of tourist who usually take quick tours, and yes I also found it quite strange that a person would want to take a tour so early in the morning. But then again, it would be cooler than actually coming at midday.

When we were inside the gates Levin nervously pushed the book into a bag and swung it over his back. I looked up at him, he didn't seemed scared just anxious. His dark coloured hair was now sticking to the front of his forehead because of the sweat and his green eyes seemed tired.

"So why are we here again? " I asked

"We need to find someone like you, " He replied as he looked around the slightly deserted streets. It was about 6:00 am, the streets were clear except for one or two people rushing around. The group of tourist had gone in a different direction. But Levin assured me that by 7:00am the streets would get quite busy so we have to work as fast as we could.

"But how are we going to find someone like me here? Go by everyone and cut them to see what colour blood they have? " I asked

"No, that would draw attention to us. I have a better idea, " with that he looked up at the Hospital which was a few buildings down. "Its not busy so we could go there and see the records. "

"Wait, They have records like that in the Hospital? "

"Yes they do, "

"So that means they have records on me back in V-3? "

"No not yet, because I was the first one to discover the colour of your blood, and I didn't turn you in, because I know what you are, "

"What I am? I'm a person .."

"Ah.. a slightly mutated person, " Levin said with a chuckle as he and I walked towards the Hospital.

"Ha ha very funny, "

"But yes if our person, who we are looking for has had an accident or has ever been to the doctor, we will find his records and get his blood colour, "

"But how are we going to see the records? "

"Just have some faith in me okay? And stop asking so many questions, Geeze you're like SpongeBob. " Levin turned to me and then continued to walk, SpongeBob? I was silent for the rest of the short walk to the Hospital.

When we got there the doors were opened and inside we felt a cool burst of air. Was that, air condition? it was. I smiled and took a deep breath, suddenly I felt a million times more comfortable. Levin walked straight up to the desk and I trailed behind.

There were about fifty sick people waiting, sitting in the room. There was an old couple, the man coughing loudly into a handkerchief and the woman with her eyes closed praying as she sat next to her husband. Then there was this young girl only about my age, she held a thin, small baby in her arms. The baby was asleep and wrapped in a pale blue blanket. Carefully the girl looked down at the baby and forced a smile.

Next to them was a teenage boy about 18 who had his blue black bruises on his arm and neck. I felt sorry for everyone sitting there. Was each vicinity worst than the other or was it just because we came at a bad time?

I walked to an empty seat and sat down,

"You're not from around here are you? " I heard someone ask. I turned to the side and saw a guy sitting next to me. He had Ginger coloured hair and light brown eyes with a hint of red I'm them. Yet the red was so faded one could hardly see it.

"Huh? How do you know? " I asked as I moved away a bit from him. He chuckled and pointed at my bracelet,

"Our cuffs aren't that colour, " He said. "It's more of a reddish colour something like how rust looks. " He moved his sleeve and showed me his cuff. I looked at it then looked away not wanting to speak with him because I didn't even know what to say to him.

"My name is Arden by the way, " He smiled at me and held out his hand.

"Esther ..." I said as I shook his hand and quickly let go.

"Now don't get me wrong but why are you here?" He asked

" I.. uh." I didn't know how to answer, should I tell him about Levin, the blood, and the book? Not forgetting of course the fact that the wrong person is the ruler of this country. Should I say I'm one of "them" ? I froze for a quick second and right before I was about to reply with something Levin walked by and stood in front of me.

"Let's go." Levin said, I nodded thankful that I avoided the question and stood up.

"Whoa, you didn't tell me why you're here." Arden said as he leaned forward and rubbed his hands together. I looked up at Levin who faked a smile at Arden.

"And why would you want to know that?" Levin crossed his arms

"Maybe because I want to know why there are two Earthlings here in the fire vicinity." Arden stood up and faced Levin. "In my vicinity."

"Why don't you mind your own business: this is not your vicinity ." Levin replied, "Esther let's go."

"Okay." I picked up the bag with the book in my hand. Levin scoffed and then turned away to walk out, I was about to follow him when Arden tripped me, causing the book to slip out of the bag just a little.

I almost fell to the floor but Levin caught my arm and helped me back to a stable form.

"What's your problem?" Levin said, his voice growing louder with anger. Quickly he bent down to pick up the bag and book but by that time Arden had already caught a glimps of it. His eyes widen and he stood there speechless for a second. Then he pulled Levin arm,

"You need to get out of here now. Follow me." Arden pulled the hood of his black jacket over his head and started to walk towards the door.

"No way, how do we know we could trust you?"Levin said.

"You really don't have a choice now, the moment someone here realises you have that book, you both will be skinned, drenched in gasoline and burned alive and no one would ever even know." Arden looked around nervously, "So are you coming or what?"

I was still confused, as Levin stood there holding the book in his hand, he glanced around the room and saw a woman leaning against the wall, then opposite to her across the room had a man, both were dressed in a dark red jacket and black leather jeans. For a place that's hot they wear a lot of leather and tight clothes.

Levin nodded, "Esther let's go now." He started to walk slowly to the exit leaving Arden behind. I followed him that was until we arrived outside of the hospital.

"Run." Levin said to me as he swung the bag over his shoulder and started to run, I quickly followed behind, but compared to him I was quite slow.

The heat was getting unbareable as I followed Levin, he ran along the sidewalk then across the street. My heart was pounding like a drum and I started to have difficulties breathing,

"LEVIN!" I shouted to him, "Where are we going?"

"Away from them." He shouted back as he glanced back at me and then looked away.

"What?" I looked back and saw the same man and woman chasing after us. The woman was slim and she ran quickly with her blonde hair flowing behind her. The man on the other wasn't as fast as the woman but he was built, not bulky but slim built. His light brown hair was short and shaved at the sides.

Levin ran into an alley, of all the places , he chose the alley. I tried to keep up with him but when I ran into the same alley as he did, I didn't see him anywhere.

"Levin?" I called out in between breaths, All this running is not doing me well. My chest felt heavy as if someone was standing on top of it. I gasped for breath as I leaned against the walls of the alley. I was tired and sweaty. "Levin?" I shouted out again... "I.. I can't... breathe.." I said while trying to gasp for breath.

I looked around the amost dark alley and passed my hands through my dark brown hair....

"Levi..."