The Journey Begins

"Perfect ." Levin said as he threw his bag over his shoulder. There was a faded beam of light coming from the moon. It was bright enough for us to see inside when the window was opened.  He walked to the window and looked down, it was a far way down, but it was a short way up. He climbed out of the window and stood on a ledge which was about a foot wide. He carefully walked on it then he turned to me. I stood inside by the window not wanting to leave.

"Come on." He said quickly. I groaned and carefully stepped outside on the ledge. My arm was still hurting a bit and to add to this it was dark because of the black out. I walked carefully, following him. I tried my best not to look down, I wasn't afraid of heights but i wasn't too tall so I was accustom to being closer to the floor than the sky. 

 Once across the ledge  Levin jumped on to an iron staircase which was old and rusty. Once on, he held out his hand for  me to get on, I took it and as I was about to jump I slipped. My heart skipped a beat as I gripped his hand tightly. I was about to speak when he gestured for me to remain quiet. He grabbed on with both hands to my hand. I was now dangling from an iron staircase, about twenty feet in the air. The cold breeze blew gently but chilly. I took a deep breath and tried to clam myself, because if my heartbeat rises to much then I can get asthma.

"Come on Esther, Hang on, I got you." He said softly as he pulled me up. I struggled to hold on because by now my skinny arms were aching. Once up on the stairs with him I grabbed on to the railing and huffed. 

"I almost fell, I almost died.I almost fell, I almost die, I died, I.. I" I murmured trying to catch my breath. I glanced up at Levin who was there looking down to where I almost fell.

  "Are you okay? " He asked, but before I could answer the lights flickered ," Quick, we have to move." He added without giving me a chance to reply. He dashed up the stairs and climbed onto the roof. Half heartedly I followed him to the top. Once there I asked him how we were going, he simply lead me to the edge of the building.

"Alright, I will jump to that building over there, when I'm there I will grab the rope and throw it back to you so you can swing across.  "

"What!" I exclaimed,  "No... No.. I cannot do it  I will not do it " I added.

"Listen. You must come, you have to do it. " With that he stepped back a bit and with full speed ran and jumped off the building to the other. I covered my eyes, I don't know how he landed but he did land saftely. He then took the rope and threw it at me to catch. I carefully knelt down by the edge of the building and waited to catch it. 

The first three times I didn't catch the rope, but you should all know it was his fault because Levin cannot throw a stupid length of rope. But the forth time I caught it and gripped tightly onto it. Then I stepped on the ledge and took a deep breath and swung across. 

Guess what, I landed saftely on Levin! I was never so happy to fall on a person ever!

We hurried off quickly to the edge of the city, that took us about fifteen minutes..

The edge of the vicinity was boarded with barbed wire which also carried an electric shock if touched.  The shock is not deadly but yet it was in such a way that it caused pain and hallucinations.   The wire space was big enough for me to pass in-between.  And so Levin took of his jacket and placed it on the wire carefully.   Then I passed through it without touching. That was maybe the easiest thing I've done for the night.

Then it was Levin's turn, he carefully placed one foot over the wire and ducked under the top one. I stood on the other side holding the book and bag in my hand. 

I was scared that he might've made it because just as he was almost there the jacket slid off the wire and the hem of his jeans got stuck there. ..