Chapter 11- How to Steal A Heart

Start from the beginning

“And what does she win? Hmm?” Jason’s voice floated down the hallway,  full of venom, “Nothing.”

“What is the matter with you Jason?” Elnora spat, her voice low and sour  “How did you think this was going to end? It was always going to be this way.”

I shook the words from my ears. My heart was pumping poison instead of blood. My throat tightened and my eyes ached. I sobbed quietly. Finally allowing the tears to fall. Crying. I wasn’t sure whether it was fear or anger or betrayal that forced me to weep. Loss of Jason? Gain of freedom. Hate or Love?

I dried my eyes with my sleeve, and hoisted the backpack onto my shoulders. 

Run.

-----------------------

It wasn’t until the full moon had risen high above, when I lost my voice. My cries were reduced to soundless grief. My mouth opened and closed, silently. I buried my face in my hands. My chest was heaving and I was faintly aware of the goosebumps crawling over my skin.

My body felt far away. Like I was among the stars. Incandescent in the night. Throwing pale, silver light over the forest. And my body was in a heap on the sun baked grass. Breathing in the scents of a summer night. Screaming internally. Cold. Silent. And alone.

“Alice?”

I registered someone murmur my name. But I didn’t look up. I remained where I was. I wasn’t sure if I was imagining the voice. I wasn’t sure if it was my own. If I was whispering to myself. Asking if I was ok. If I was still here. If I had left my body behind.

“Alice!” the voice hissed.

I didn’t respond. I named the scents that filled my lungs. Grass. Daisies. Earth. Tears. I focused on breathing. In... Out... In... Out... In...

“Alice!” 

I felt someone grip my shoulders and pull my head back. A large hand roughly swept the hair from my face. I couldn’t see the person. I couldn’t see anything.

I searched for the right muscles to open my eyes. 

“Wake up!”

They shook me.

“What’s wrong with you?”

I took a deep breath and opened one emerald eye, and then the other. 

A figure crouched in front of me. His arms extended. His hands on my shoulders. Hair the colour of caramel. Eyes the colour of sky. 

“Caleb!” I gasped, and my snapped shut. Not because I felt safe. Not because I was afraid. But because I didn’t want the voice to belong to Caleb. Though I’d recognized it by the time he grabbed my shoulders, I still wanted to pretend. To pretend it was someone else.

“Come on.” he said, roughly pulling me to my feet. “We have to go!”

I opened my eyes and looked around me. I had been cowering among the trees for hours, and before that, I had wandered further and further from the estate.

Caleb grabbed me by the wrist and tugged me forward. I clutched one shoulder strap of my bag, and allowed him to drag me deeper in to the woods.

We walked in silence for what seemed like a very long time. He still hadn’t let go of my arm and it was beginning to burn. Still, he clasped It tightly as though he thought I might run away.

That’s what you’re doing.

You are running away.

I pushed the thoughts from my head. I was running for my own safety. There was no going back.

“How did you find me?” I asked him, my voice a rasp.

“I knew you would run.” 

My head whipped around to glare at him. He looked straight forward. I watched him gulp.

“How?” I hissed.

“You were always like that.” he said quickly, “Run away when things get to hard.”

I ripped my arm from his grasp and cradled it against my chest as if he was a snake. 

“Since when?” I snapped, “I’ve never done that!”

He stopped walking and wheeled around. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

“I didn’t mean that. I’m just tired. I know this must have been hard for you.” he said through gritted teeth.

I scowled. 

“Where are we going?” I asked, bitterly.

“Away.” he said, yanking me forward again. I didn’t resist. But I pulled my arm away again, as I walked.

“Are we almost there?” 

Caleb rolled his eyes.

“We would have been there ages ago, if you’re legs weren’t so short!” he leered.

I fell silent. 

Go back, Alice.

This was a mistake.

He hasn’t changed at all.

I kept walking.

You shouldn’t have to put up with this guy.

He’s an ass and you know it!

I quickened my pace.

What are you doing?

This is a bad idea.

Go back.

Go back.

Go back!

“Caleb th-”

“We’re here!” he said triumphantly. I choked on my own words.

“This...” I tried again.

“...Is our new home!” Caleb finished, beaming.

My eyes landed on the disheveled house. It’s weatherbeaten exterior crawling with tendrils of ivy and surrounded by parched, overgrown lawn. It’s sagging roof, coated in a blanket of scorched leaves. 

I took two steps back, and before I even knew what was happening, Caleb had a firm grip on my arms.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he smirked.

“Home” I whispered.

vote, comment? <3 - Bambi