I'm So Afraid

Stevie was frozen, she couldn't move as she starred at her apartment complex. A lump had formed in her throat, finding it hard to breathe.

    They'd returned from England just a short hour ago, Stevie knowing she had to face Joe sooner rather than later.

  "Stevie?" Lindsey drew her attention, squeezing her shoulder. "Are you ok?"

      She nodded, despite the vile rising in her throat. "Yeah." She took the first step towards the stair, freezing when Lindsey followed her. "What are you doing?"

    "I'm coming with you."

  She shook her head. "No, that will just make it worse."

  "Stevie-"

  "Lindsey." She cut him off, her eyes boring in to his. He backed down, gritting his teeth.

  "I'm waiting outside the door."

   She nodded in acceptance, knowing he wasn't going to budge.

   He followed her up the stairs, squeezing her for reassurance. "I'm right here if you need anything."

  Stevie nodded,  taking a deep breath. Lindsey stepped aside, making sure he was out of sight as she opened the door, entering the home she shared with Joe.

   She disappeared, the door shutting behind her and an uneasy feeling settled in the pit of his stomach.

   Stevie shut the door quietly behind her, making sure it was left unlocked. Just in case.

  She ventured further in to the living room, her heart stopping seeing Joe in the lounger, a bottle in one hand, a joint in the other.

   They just starred at one another, Stevie squirming. His eyes looked dead, icy, just staring at her.

  She swallowed the lump in her throat, breaking the silence. "Hi."

       "How long?" He spoke through gritted teeth.

   Tears threatened to spill from her eyes, hanging her head in shame. "After we lost the baby."

    "So while I was grieving, you were fucking your boss?"

   "Joe." She looked up at him, her eyes watering as her heart physically ached.

    He took a swig from the bottle, pulling on the joint before stubbing it out in the ash tray. He stumbled to his feet and she could tell he'd been drinking for quite some time today.

   "I moved out here for you Stevie. I packed up my home and left all my family, all my friends, for you. To make our dreams come true." He had drawn closer, his eyes red.

  "I'm sorry." Her voice cracked, she didn't know what else to say.

   "You're a fucking whore."

   The tears fell, pressing her lips tight together to keep from sobbing.

   "What was it Stevie? Did I not love you enough, did I not do enough for you."

     "That has nothing to do with it Joe."

   "Then what fucking was it!" He blew up. "I loved you, with my whole heart and soul and you just spit on me!" He was screaming now, Stevie crying harder.

   "I didn't mean for it to happen!"

   "But it did happen Stevie! You fucked him! You performed OUR song with his fucking band!"

   "Joe I'm sorry." She sobbed out, she didn't know what else to say.

     "You're fucking sorry? That's all you have to say!"