We'll Make It

"Hey." Joe looked up from his notebook, hearing the front door open then her voice. He smiled at her.

    "Hey, how was work?"

      Stephanie shrugged, unbuttoning her coat as she kicked her shoes off. Joe grimaced seeing the garters she wore under her dress, knowing it wasn't just intimate attire anymore.

     "What chya doin?" She sank down on the floor next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder as she looked at the pages of writing scattered all over the coffee table in front of them. He moved his guitar off his lap to hold her in his arms.

     "New song, I talked to Keith today and he said he could get us some free recording time if we clean his house on Sunday."

     "Sounds good." She pecked his lips, laying her head back down. "Did you talk to the landlord?"

    Joe sighed, nodding his head. "He said he'll give us another week but that's it after this."

    "I'm sure I can pick up a few extra shifts." Silence fell them and she moved closer to him, kissing his jaw. "How was your first day of work?"

     Joe was the one to shrug. "Felt like I was doing chores all day. Dealt with asshole customers, usual minimum job."

      She sighed. "I know how that goes."

     "Are they giving you a hard time over there?"

     "No." Stevie shook her head, wrapping her arms around his waist, nuzzling her head into the crook of his neck. "It's just sad, you know? There's all these men with wedding rings, or drunks. It's a sad place."

     "You don't have to keep doing this Steph."

     "We've talked about this, we need the money. And I make way more there than I did at the diner."

     "Are you ok with doing this stuff, every night?"

        "Of course I'm not ok with it, but we don't have a lot of options right now Joe."

       "I'm sorry."

     "Don't be."  She leaned her head up, kissing him softly.

    He squeezed her tighter, rubbing the back of her neck as he looked down at her adoringly. "We're gonna make it one day Steph. I promise you. We're going to be on the top of every chart and have a big ol' house, with a pool and as many dogs as you want."

     She smiled." I know we will."

     "You and me," He stroked his thumb across her cheek bone, kissing her. "We're gonna make it."