Trouble In ShangriLa

The phone rang again, she couldn't count how many times she just sat there, starring at it and not answering.

   She knew it was Joe, recognizing their home phone number.

   Tears trailed down Stevie's cheek, her arms wrapped around her legs tight as she drew them in to her body.

   Lindsey sank down on the bed besides her, soothing a hand over her shoulder. "Maybe you should answer it?"

   Stevie shook her head, burying her face in to his shoulder. "I can't do it over the phone, it has to be in person."

   Lindsey nodded in understanding, holding her tight. The ringing had stopped, only to pick back up again. He glanced at the number, reaching for the phone.

   "What are you doing?" Stevie panicked, grabbing his arm.

  "It's not Joe." He gestured towards the different number, Stevie relinquishing her hold and he picked up the phone.

  "Hello?...Hey Mick. What's up?"

   "Have you turned on your tv lately?"

      Lindsey frowned. "No, why?"

    "You and Stevie are all over the news, you really did it this time."

   "Shit." Lindsey swore, running a hand over his face.

   "Look, I'm going to cancel the rehearsals for today, get your shit sorted out Buck."

    He let out a heavy sigh. "Thanks Mick."

  "No problem mate, call me in a bit."

   "Will do, bye."

   He hung up the phone, clenching his eyes shut and letting out a heavy sigh.

   "What's wrong?"

      Lindsey shook his head, reaching for the tv remote. He clicked it on, not surprised when he saw him and Stevie plastered all over the big screen.

   Stevie let out a small whimper, Lindsey holding her close.

    "It seems the new starlet of Fleetwood Mac is making her rounds. Seen sharing an intense moment outside of Bei, Lindsey Buckingham, lead guitarist and singer-song writer of Fleetwood Mac seems to pay no notice to the ring he put on his fiancée's finger as he cozied up to the mystery woman who stole everyone's attention last Saturday night."

   Lindsey couldn't listen anymore, flipping the tv off and chucking the remote.

   Stevie was crying, shaking her head. "I'm sorry."

   He frowned, drawing her in close. "For what?"

  "For everything, Lindsey when your fiancée see's this she'll-"

   "I don't give a shit what she'll do. It's you Stevie, you're the one I want, you're the one I care about. Are you ok?"

      Stevie shrugged, sniffling. "I don't know."

   A knock sounded throughout the hotel suite, Lindsey sighing as he climbed out of bed.

   Stevie drew the covers around herself as he went to go get the door, sitting up as she wrapped the sheets around her bare body.

    She looked up startled when she heard shouting, standing from the bed and inching closer.

    Her heart raced  when a blonde woman came storming in to the room, Lindsey trying to stop her.

    She felt a white hot pain stinging across her cheek, looking up with tears in her eyes at the woman who had just struck her.

   "You are a disgusting human being!"

   Stevie coward back, holding her hand up and shielding her face when the woman began striking at her.

   "Carol Ann!" Lindsey quickly dragged her away, swearing when she dug her nails in to his skin. She slammed her fist against his face, Lindsey's arms dropping from her as he hissed out in pain.

  "You asshole!" She shoved him back, Lindsey stumbling. "Two years! Two fucking years!"

   Carol Ann turned her attention back to Stevie, seething. "Are you happy? Fucking a taken man, using him to get your fame! You're nothing but a little whore!"

   Stevie couldn't formulate any words, crying out in pain when Carol Ann yanked at her hair, her fist coming in contact with her cheek.

     "Carol Ann!" Lindsey tried to pry her off Stevie, the two woman tumbling about the room as Stevie tried to break free. A lamp fell to the floor, the glass shattering.

   Lindsey wrapped his arms around Carol Ann, yanking her away. Stevie stumbled to the floor, tears blurring her vision.

  "Get the fuck out of here!" Lindsey was seething, dragging Carol Ann towards the door.

  Carol Ann broke free from his grasp, shooting daggers at him. "Fuck you!" She tore her engagement ring off her finger, chucking it at his chest. It bounced to the floor with a small clatter, the door shaking in it's frame a she slammed it behind her.

   Lindsey stood stone still, his chest heaving up and down as he stared at the door, trying to formulate what just happened.

  His attention was drawn by Stevie's sobs, quickly crouching down next to her where she sat on the floor.

   He hesitantly reached an arm out, falling back when she launched herself in to his arms.

   He soothed her, running his hand up and down her back as she cried in to his chest.

     "We're horrible."

   Lindsey shook his head, kissing the top of her head. "No we're not baby."

       Stevie pulled away, her eyes watering with tears. Lindsey soothed his thumb over the bright red scratches along the side of her face, taming her wild hair.

   "We're hurting so many people Lindsey."

    He tucked her hair behind her ear, holding her close. "It's a small price to pay for our happiness."

    "Are you happy?"

    "With you I'm the happiest I've ever been." He was telling the truth.

   Stevie started crying again, hanging her head. "Joe knows. I know he does."

    "When we get back you can stay with me."

   "Lindsey," She tried to protest, Lindsey cutting her off.

   "I don't care if you sleep in another part of the house, I am not letting you go back to that situation."

   Stevie sniffled once more, falling in to his embrace. "What do we do?"

   Lindsey held her tight, resting his head a top of hers. "We wait."