56. STEVE: Catch Me

Start from the beginning

"Where are those goddamn wings when we need them?" Nat turns to Sam.

"Stark's got 'em in the shop." Sam peers down with a visible gulp of fear. "Shit. That's far."

You tug out of Steve's grasp, making him roll his eyes as you pull open the window. The air is hot and humid as it smacks you in the face. "What are you doing? We can't make it, Y/N. We'll have to find another way."

An idea (granted, not a very reliable one) pops up in your head. It's not that you don't think it'll work, you just wonder how much more everyone's going to be pissed at you IF you can convince them to go along with it.

"I have a plan." You turn around to look at your small team.

Nat raises an eyebrow, quickly glancing to Steve who asks in his deep voice, "Is it a good one?"

You swallow. "...I have a plan."

You hear Sam mutter, "Oh my god, we're all going to die."

Ignoring the Falcon you point to the door. "Close and lock it. How much time do I have, Nat?"

"Two minutes now, tops." Nat rushes to the door to throw it closed and start stacking things in front of it. Steve helps as Sam lingers behind you near the window. You perch dangerously on the ledge, unaware as Steve keeps worriedly glancing back at you and your hair that flips in the wild wind.

"You guys are gonna jump," you announce to the group.

"And die!?"

You shake your head at Sam. "No. I'm going to stop your falls from up here with a field. I've done it before with bodies. I've done it with falling things. It'll work the same."

"If it works at all," Nat sasses you with irritation and doubt laced in her voice. Your cousin joins you by the window with a gnarl in her brow.

"Have any better ideas?" you snap. "No? Okay. Then let's hurry the hell up."

"And what about you? You can't catch yourself with a field." Steve shakes his head.

You look up at Steve. "I can try."

"What if you can't?"

You shrug, "Then you're gonna have to catch me."

Sam gawks. "Yep—I knew it. We're all gonna die."

Ignoring Sam again you talk to Steve, "You told me to come up with a plan: well, here it is. Now let's go before we get swarmed in here. We know I can't keep them all off for long. We have no other choice."

Steve takes a hard swallow. He grits his teeth, cursing the whole damn situation under his breath, and then nods. "Okay. Let's go."

Sam squeals, "You're seriously letting her do it?! We're doing this?!"

"She's right. We don't have another choice." Steve climbs up onto the window. He makes room for you to stand next to him. Impatiently he watches as you hold out your hands and build one of those invisible fields down below. That's the worst part—he can't see anything but the rocks and smoldering heat below. Fear builds at the bottom of his belly.

"It's there," you assure him.

Voices shout from outside the room.

"And so are our friends," Nat announces. "Jump, Rogers."

Steve takes one last breath before shoving himself out into the air. Nat covers your back, making sure no one busts in to break your concentration and shatter the field below, while Sam anxiously watches Captain America's navy blue spandex body plummet towards the earth. There's never been a more terrifying sight than that of the super soldier spiraling down, down, down towards the hard desert ground. Everyone holds their breath as the distance between him and the earth grows closer... closer... closer... five feet away from death and the fall is suddenly broken by what looks to be nothing but clear air. Steve bounces up once as if having fallen onto an air filled mattress. The bounce leads to him rolling around stupidly until you break the field. Steve grunts as the short five feet disappear beneath him and he's lying on his back on the ground. He stares up at you, how you're nothing more than a speck in a glassless window, and takes a long breath.