Whalebone and Steel

Chapter Twenty Four -- Whalebone and Steel

Barbossa's expression darkened as he took hold of my shoulders and peered keenly at my face. "Who struck ye?" he growled through his teeth.

"It is my greeting from Mawgan Curnow," I replied. "But it doesn't signify – I've found you and you're alive!" I threw my arms around his neck and we embraced, but then he held me off again, scowling at me as he spoke.

"How came ye here?" he demanded, frustration and anger in his voice. "Ye swore ye'd be miles away!"

"I told you I would return after my errand," I replied. "That's why I gave you the letter. Why didn't you destroy it? The Judge sent his scoundrels to waylay me, and now-"

"Yer loyalty be the ruin of ye, silly wench – yer head will be alongside mine on a pikestaff!" he said. He gave me a rough shake as he released my arms, and I recalled Rufus' warning not to expect pleasantries from Barbossa when danger threatened.

"And what matter is that?" I rejoined, raising my voice. "My place is still fighting by your side, whether we get clear or die!"

He rolled his eyes impatiently. "What good does it do t' be reunited, seein' as we've no future? There be no way out of this chamber!" He swept his arm towards the windows, all of which were now barred.

"Then we shall leave through the door-" I began to reply, but Barbossa gestured for silence. He pointed to the door, through which I could hear the muffled sounds of our sentry drawing closer in order to hear our words. I signed to Barbossa that I would keep my voice down.

As I began to survey my former room, I saw that disorder reigned and everything was torn to bits: the chest with my gowns was missing, my other clothes lay in heaps upon the dusty floor, my bed was broken down and collapsed, and the remaining furniture tumbled about. My wardrobe had also been removed; I supposed it had been broken to bits and burnt for wood in one of Highcliffe's many fireplaces.

"Did ye see any o' me crew?" Barbossa asked. "D' ye have any news of 'em?"

"They've locked up most of the crew in Mr Williams' mill," I told him. "I was marched past it on the way here." Then a question struck me. "Why do you suppose the Judge is keeping you here and not with your men?" I enquired.

Barbossa gave me a quick, sidelong look and a cynical smile. "T'is no great mystery, lass. A crew be easier t' govern when they think their captain dead."

"That must surely be his purpose," I replied. "But he must reckon my skills poorly if he thinks I shall wait here like a stupid woodcock to have my neck wrung." My eyes went to the high, dusty chimney-shelf where I had hidden my father's best sword all those years ago. Was there any likelihood at all that it still lay there, undiscovered?

I pushed the only remaining chest to the most advantageous site, and stood upon it, stretching my arm towards the shelf. Barbossa watched me with growing curiosity. "What are ye seekin'?" he finally asked.

"Something I want," I replied, "if indeed it hasn't been pilfered. Would you oblige me by trying whether your hand can reach the back of the shelf? I climbed upon my wardrobe to do it years ago, but perhaps you are tall enough?"

Barbossa stood on the chest and tried, but even with his height, his hand only grazed the shelf's front edge. "What did ye keep up there? A key to the door?" he asked me as he stepped down.

"It's of no account if it cannot be fetched down," I replied, not wishing to frustrate him with the prospect of such a perfect weapon so tantalizingly out of reach. Next, I knelt beside the piles of clothes and began searching. Going through each heap, I first found my leather gauntlets and bodice, and then my stays, stiffened with whalebone. I seated myself on my ruined bed and extended my hand to Barbossa. He joined me and I asked him once more about the letter.