A Pirate's Life

Chapter Three -- A Pirate's Life

"All hands! Step lively! She's at it again!" Jack called out in mock alarm. He had just seen me emerge from the hatchway carrying several cabbages. There were only a few men on the Pearl's main deck still finishing their morning's work, and they scrambled out of my way. 

I approached a capstan and positioned one of the cabbages securely upon it. Drawing my scimitar from its scabbard, I took aim, and then swung the weapon suddenly from over my shoulder in a great, sweeping arc. I brought the blade straight through the side of the cabbage, making an equatorial cut. I inspected the result, set up a second cabbage on the capstan, and continued my exercises.

We had been a few weeks out to sea on the Pearl, with barely enough crew to sail her, looking for vessels to pillage. Although we took her out near the "roads" most frequented, we had only discovered three ships, all of which had already been pillaged and ransomed. In the interim, I took every opportunity to practise my weapons skills, which had languished during my stay in Port Royal. 

From the quarterdeck, Jack watched the proceedings for a while; then he descended to the main deck. "Remind me to stay out of the galley if you're cooking, love," he said, waving his fingers at the scimitar as he sauntered past. "Quite a lovely swing you've got there." 

Then some realisation seemed to stop him in his tracks, and he turned to face me. "I suppose it's cabbage for supper, then? Again?" He curled his upper lip.

"I thought you liked cabbage," I said. "In any case, I need to keep up my skills. It's remarkable what can be done with a properly honed blade." I turned the hilt backwards, and, with the sword's blunt edge resting against my arm, proceeded to slice the cabbage to shreds.

Jack crouched down so that his black-rimmed eyes were level with the top of the capstan, the better to watch my efforts. "Nice close work, too." He frowned, tapping his fingers against his chin. "Should I be searching for a merchant ship with more vegetables?"

Our stores did need replenishing, but as it turned out, Jack had a grander design in mind. He started towards the leeward rail, nodding his head to indicate I should follow him. Then he leaned back against the rail, propping himself on his elbows, and began to tell me more of his most cherished project.

"All I need is to get a good cargo of provisions and enough swag to sign on more crew - lots more crew - and we'll be ready to chase the really big prize," he glanced around and lowered his voice. "The Chest of Cortes!"

My blank look must have disappointed him. "What sort of a ship might she be with a name like that?" I asked.

He sighed and rolled his eyes heavenward. "You're wanted in the captain's quarters, you are," he announced.

He grabbed my wrist, steered me to his quarters, and shut the door. "Not a ship, love," he said carefully, speaking slowly so that I would miss not a word. "It's a trove."

His dark eyes positively shone with anticipation, and he gestured with both hands for emphasis. "A lovely, sparkly trove of eight hundred and eighty-two gold pieces - medallions, actually - they're said to be huge! Ransom paid by the Aztecs to stop the infamous Cortes from slaughtering 'em; but he was so bloodthirsty that he took the gold and pressed on with the slaughter, golden ransom notwithstanding!" He threw an arm about my shoulders and conducted me to his chart table.

"It's reputed to be hidden on the Isla de Muerta. But you can stow these charts," he said, laying his hand across the maps on the table. "You won't find it on any of 'em. It can only be found by someone who's been there, savvy? And that's - no one." He paused dramatically.