Tortuga

Chapter Fifteen -- Tortuga

Some time after our momentous victory over the EITC, the Troubadour at last drew near our destination. I had no expectation that Barbossa would forego his pursuit of the Fountain of Youth in favour of transacting business with Rufus. Immortality would trump mere treasure and revenge, and Jack, despite sympathising with me, would be like-minded. The Pearl was doubtless on her way to the Fountain, although I wondered how the venture would fare with the two captains scrapping over command of the ship. For my part, I had resigned myself to disembarking with my old friend and seeking another means of making passage to Cornwall. I was prepared to confront Hanibal alone.

On the morning when the Troubadour was yet a day out from the Tortuga road, I was standing at the rail with Rufus, musing silently upon the various ways I might take ship for Pencarren. Rufus took a quick look about, then said in a low voice, "Cap'n spoke t' me about the Wayfarer an' Marianne Bitter." I glanced up at him, my eyes wide with surprise.

He shook his head in wonder. "T' think," he went on. "If I'd stayed in Launceston, I'd 'ave met Edward Teague long ago. Ee were lookin' into th' mattar not a month after I left."

I tried to stammer a question, but Rufus waved me off. "Ee'll tell ye soon enough," he assured me.

Before I could recover my thoughts, I heard Teague's forward lookout cry Ahoy! Moments later, Rufus and I found ourselves watching from the deck as Jack came aboard from a tiny sloop. It appeared that Barbossa had stolen the Pearl and departed whilst Jack and Mr Gibbs were ashore in Tortuga, pursuing their customary debaucheries of wenching and drinking. With an unsteady gait, Jack strolled across the deck to us, a bottle in one hand and a long roll of papers in the other.

"Drunk as a bee," muttered Rufus.

"Well, mates, he's done it again," Jack announced, with a flourish. "You've arrived only moments too late to witness me ship bein' stolen by the selfsame old scoundrel for the third time." He held up three fingers which he studied with a frown – whether to validate their number or inspect his rings, I could not say.

"I suppose he's on his way to seek the Fountain of Youth, then," I replied, dispirited.

Jack smirked, rocking backward a bit on his heels. "Well, if I was you, love, I would definitely put ashore in Tortuga for a bit. I rather suspect the old scallywag'll be back, and I rather suspect he'll be in need of a new venture." With a grin, he unrolled the papers he carried, and I saw that he had almost all of Sao Feng's maps, only missing the borders. Barbossa may have stolen the Pearl, but Jack had cheated him of his project.

Jack cocked an eyebrow and gave me a feline stare with his jetty eyes, and I suddenly realised that he had planned it all, so that Barbossa would indeed have a ship but no enterprise, and would resort to taking me captive just as I had wished.

"Thank you, Captain Jack!" I exclaimed fervently. "You truly are the best pirate ever!"

"Just one thing," asked Jack, holding up a finger. "How do you propose to see the King and gain his help if Barbossa has you in irons on the Pearl?"

I drew down the corners of my mouth in a show of distaste. "I must try whether I can be agreeable enough that he grants me some small freedoms aboard ship. When we reach Pencarren, I shall use Calypso's spancel to bind him; he won't be able to move, and therefore can do nothing to prevent me from going ashore."

"Hmm, fair enough, then," Jack commented with an approving nod. "Sounds quite effective." Then he grinned at me. "By the by, don't lose that item, darlin'; it sounds like something I could have a lot of fun with."