Captivity

Chapter Sixteen -- Captivity

Once aboard the Pearl, Pintel and Ragetti led me to my old cabin by the light of a small lantern. They seated me in a chair, placing the lantern upon a table, and the sack with my belongings upon the bed. Then they departed, leaving me still in irons.

Almost immediately, Barbossa entered the room with long strides and not a word of greeting. He held the key to my irons in his hand, and I watched him tuck it into a pocket of his waistcoat.

"I see you're in charge of Jack's ship, again," I remarked. He made no response.

Standing so close that he almost straddled my knees, he began to search my hair for pins, calmly and methodically. He tipped my head forward so that my forehead rested just above his waist, and I felt the smooth rise and fall of his ribcage as he drew deep, steady breaths. Each discovered pin was gently removed and placed upon the table.

This process continued for several minutes, and strangely, my instinctive fear receded, and I began to feel what was almost a languid enjoyment under his touch and the caressing movements of his hands as he searched. The weariness of the long day overtook me as I closed my eyes and quietly exhaled. Gradually, my hair was all unbound and hung in heavy waves almost to my waist. Still he searched patiently, in silence, touching each strand and stroking my head. Finally, he tipped my chin up and rested his hands lightly on my neck.

"Now, little bird," he said in a tone of satisfaction, "D' ye swear upon yer honour that there be no other pins hidden in yer feathers? Or shall I search the rest of ye?" He drew his hands down to my shoulders.

"I give you my word," I answered quickly.

"Very well, m'girl," he said. "We have summat of a voyage ahead of us, and t'would be well t' inform ye of me terms." He stepped to the bed and, unwrapping my belongings, began to arm himself with my weapons. The scimitar he hung from his belt, the pistols were added to his own that he always wore. The badge, locket and small books he dropped into a pocket of his coat, and did likewise with the pins from my hair. The letter from Captain Swann he tossed onto the berth.

"Ye can keep yer old cabin an' travel in comfort," he announced. "I'll not have it said that I don't know how t' entertain a lady o' quality. Yer t' be given free run o' the Pearl, but I'm inclined t' keep them bracelets on ye. Have a care makin' yer way about, since I'm determined t' hand ye over to yer uncle in fine condition. He'll be well pleased that yer back from the dead," he added with a little smirk of victory.

He advanced to the door, but turned back. "Oh, and if ye take it into yer head to try me on any matter," he said cheerfully, "Everything of yers that I'm carryin' on me person will be goin' over the side and straight t' the bottom as quick as I can fling it – without notice. Since we're makin' passage to Cornwall, that'll be hundreds o' fathoms deep. Now, be a good girl, an' let's have no more unpleasantness." He smiled, picked up the lantern, and departed, leaving me in darkness.

I breathed a sigh of relief that the spancel, twisted about to resemble a rosette at my waist, had escaped his attention.

The next day, I remained in my cabin and avoided Barbossa; however, Pintel and Ragetti conveyed his request that I join him for supper that night in his quarters. I surmised that he must be missing the company of Jack the monkey; however, having no desire to keep the entire voyage in circumstances befitting a penitent, I accepted. In the absence of my hairpins, I prevailed upon Ragetti to supply a strip of cloth to bind my tresses into a loose pigtail. Once I arrived for supper, Barbossa removed my irons and waved me to a seat at the table, which was well furnished with victuals.

"Come, m'girl, " he said with a genial sweep of his hand, "There be no reason fer us not t' enjoy a good supper, an' make ourselves as easy as we can. There be many a long evenin' on a passage such as this." He filled a silver goblet with wine and handed it to me.