The Scandal at Highcliffe

Chapter Seventeen - The Scandal at Highcliffe

After several more days of similarly convivial meals, the Pearl was riding at anchor off the coast of Charles Town waiting for the wind that would take us to Cornwall. Our suppers had undergone a series of subtle changes that took place gradually and in a rather mysterious manner. As an illustration, the first three suppers I attended found my place adorned with a different tankard or glass each evening. Nothing was said about it, but when I admired one crystal goblet with a pretty, twisting spiral in its stem, I found it set out for me every night thereafter.

Likewise, the merits of various dishes were one of Barbossa's favourite topics of conversation, and it appeared that those I had praised began to find their way to his table more frequently. And lastly, there were the occasions themselves: at first, one or two particular invitations to supper were conveyed to me, but after almost a week had passed, I found that somehow I seemed to be taking all of my meals with Barbossa.

On the fourth day of our voyage, Ragetti had delivered, without comment, a fine silk ribbon for me to use in securing my pigtail. After he left, I spent some time examining this item, the sender's identity being obvious. It was the first present (if such it could even be called) that I had received from any male acquaintance since the days when I was courted by James, and though it made me feel accepted and welcomed into the little community of souls that populated the Black Pearl, it also made me a bit melancholy. When I wore the new ribbon, I felt somewhat abashed in Barbossa's presence, wondering what he would say. He made no remark, but once or twice during supper, I thought I detected him glancing at it with a slight smile.

We waited nearly a week off Charles Town, with everyone hoping for signs of a favourable wind before tedium lengthened our days and shortened our tempers overmuch. On the last day before the wind changed, Barbossa discovered another pirate ship, bound for Carolina but preparing to lay by, and the two vessels hailed each other in the traditional manner by firing their guns in the air. Messages were exchanged, and the other ship's captain was rowed over to the Pearl, to join Barbossa for a spell of drinking and pipe smoking. I heard much loud talking and laughing from the captain's quarters, and knew the two men would be occupied for several hours.

I cast my eyes about my cabin restlessly, and noticed the letter from Captain Swann that I had yet to open. Deciding that this was an opportune time for reading, I opened the letter and read the following words:

Dear Miss Bitter,

I write this at the behest of your friend, who speaks of you highly and with affection. Although my intention is not to beg your forgiveness, neither do I wish you to be burdened with a false understanding of the events which have naturally grieved you so. As to the first transgression of which I am accused, be assured that I was compelled to sacrifice Jack for the life of one to whom I have pledged my uttermost loyalty and devotion, and that I have done all I can to make amends.

As to Admiral Norrington, let me express my sympathy, knowing how much he meant to you. James died because, in the end, he chose to act for the cause in which he believed, and we must honour him for that.

I hope this letter finds you well, and that in the future we may meet as friends.

Elizabeth

Rex Piratarum

I re-read the first sentence; so Jack had urged her to treat me kindly. In the days following my confrontation with her, I had repented of my behaviour and acknowledged its true cause - the jealousy I had felt, knowing that she had been so important to James. I wondered if I would be alive long enough to pen a reply after I reached Cornwall.