Chapter 15: Fatal Reunions

Start from the beginning

"Shit! Stop the truck! That isn't a walker! That's a living person!"

The driver slammed on the breaks as fast as he could. They kept on getting closer and closer to the person, but they weren't stopping fast enough.

"Shit we're gonna hit the guy!" one of the men said when they were five metres away from the figure.

"Swerve away from it, dumbass!" a man said as he grabbed the steering wheel. He turned it as fast as he could but it was too late. The truck spun out and the trunk slid towards the man. All he had time to do was lift up his arms before the truck hit him, sending him flying back five feet.

"Shit!" a man yelled as he jumped out of the truck, "You hit the guy! Is he still alive?"

"How the hell am I suppose to know?" another man asked, getting out of the truck as well.

The men ran towards the person and felt for a pulse. They sat there waiting to see if he was alive for about a minute, but then decided to leave.

"Guy's dead. Nothin' we can do about it." They started walking away when they heard a groan. They looked back at the man to see that he was attempting to sit up.

"Look it! The guy's alive!"

"Holy shit! How the hell did he survive that?"

"I don't know", a man replied as he crouched down beside the man, "You okay there buddy? Can you here me?"

"Ya, I'm alive", the man muttered as he rubbed the back of his head, "Did you just hit me with a truck?"

"Ya, we are really sorry about that. Thought you were a walker. How 'bout we bring you back to our base? Get you cleaned up and fed. Since we just hit you with our truck."

"That's fine with me."

"You'll have to sit in the trunk though. Not enough room in the front. You can watch over our hostage for us."

"I really don't care. I just want off of this fucking road."

"Okay let's pick the guy up", a man said as he grabbed underneath the man's arms. They picked him up and brought him to the trunk of the truck and lifted him inside. Then they hopped back into the truck and started driving again. The man sat up on the side of the trunk and looked at Travis. He stared at him for a while then said,

"Travis?"

"How did you know my name?"

"It's Josh. You know, the dumbass one that tried to climb up that cliff."

"How? That Josh died. I saw him die."

"I never did die. I almost did, but a man named Liam found me. Nursed me back to health. Now I'm up and going again."

"You're barely moving. You just got hit by a truck."

"It was slowing down. I'm fine."

"You got lucky, Josh. You should've been dead a long time before this, but for whatever reason you seem to survive anything that gets thrown at you."

"I guess that's true. Where did the rest of the group go."

"I don't know. I'm assuming that they are at the same place that we are going."

"What do you mean? Weren't you with them?"

"No. Me and Jordan got split up from the rest of the group, when we fell down an elevator shaft."

"Wait. If you say that you and Jordan got split up from the rest of the group, then where is he now?"

"He..." Travis said as he lowered his head, "He's dead."