Chapter 46: Epilogue

~~6 years later...

Lance's POV:

     Parking the car in the driveway, I saw that Vanessa was already home. Wow, that's earlier than usual. Unlocking the front door, I step in to find the house smelling of bread and cupcakes. Ahh that scent brings back memories. After hanging up the coat and locking the door, I headed into the kitchen where Vanessa had her back to the doorway as she checked on the baked goods in the oven. Quietly, I padded over to her and wrapped my arms around her, kissing the crook of her neck. She leaned into me and tilted her neck, giving me greater access. 

     "Hey, your home early. Not a lot of appointments today?" I asked.

   "I had someone else finish up since I had a personal appointment." She answered, as she relaxed into me.

    "Is anything wrong? Are you not feeling well?" I fired off, worried.

She laughed and replied,

     "Nothing is wrong. Now stop worrying and go change into something that doesn't smell like rubbing alcohol. Dinner is almost ready and I tried out a new recipe especially for today!"

   I chuckled, knowing how much she likes experimenting with our tastebuds.

  I go change into sweats and a sweatshirt before heading downstairs where the food's aroma alerted my stomach.

     "Do you want me to set the table?" I ask. It's only fair, since she cooked.

      "Nah, already did that." She said, waving me off.

      Pulling a pot off the stove, she carried it to the table where I saw that everything was laid out.

      We sit down and she opens the cover on the steaming pot to reveal fettuccine in an alfredo sauce. Damnit Vanessa, at this rate I'm going to need to live at the gym! Alfredo, my weakness.

       After scooping some into our respective plates, I figure a little sparkling apple cider would be appropriate for today.

     "Want me to pour some sparkling cider?" I inquire, just in case she wants to drink something else.

    "Uh, no. The b-buns would go to waste. I made a special dessert today. Leave some room for them." She said quickly.

  Hey... Something is definitely up. I have never heard Vanessa decline sparkling cider. I will get to the bottom of this. But for now I shall enjoy dinner with her.

     We talk about our day and all the normal stuff, but I'm getting antsy as we come closer to dessert. I really hope she likes what I have planned.

     Once we both are done eating, she jumps up and says that she will be right back with dessert. I nod my head and take this as an opportunity to place the box in front of her.

     When she re-enters the room, she's wearing an apron and holding a steaming pans of...cinnamon buns!

     She places them in front of us and stands next to me.

      "Why don't you take a bite and tell me how they are?"

     I nod and pull one from the pan.

     "In this recipe, you flip it over first." She says, biting her lip.

    I raise an eyebrow but don't question it.

     Flipping the bun on to its other side, I almost pour glaze over it before I realize that there are words inside of it.

     "There's a bun inside my oven." I read and then realize what it means. I turn to Vaness who has unbuttoned a flap on her apron to reveal a painted oven right where her midsection is with the words.

    "We cooked up a bun!"

Eyes wide, the news sinks in.

     She gives me a small smile and continues to bite that darn lip.

    "OH MY...you...we.." I stand up and hug her, placing a kiss on her lips. Kneeling down, I'm face to face with her midsection.

     "Hi Baby Wellington-Fields. I can't wait to meet you in 9 months kiddo." I punctuate that sentence with a kiss to her stomach and rise up.

     "I can't believe it. We are going to have a kid here in 9 months! I'M GOING TO BE A FATHER!" I exclaim, unable to contain my excitement.

    Then I remember my present to us.

     "Well, my gift for us doesn't seem as important anymore. But...go ahead and open the box." I gesture to the tiny box in front of her. She unwraps it carefully, being sure not to rip the ribbon. She takes the cover off and gasps. She looks at me her eyes wide with excitement.

    "You bought the house!?" She squeals.
     "No, we bought the house. It's ours, Cupcake." I corrected, returning her hug.

     "We made all of this with love, determination, and a lot of student loans." She giggles, waving her arms around to signify everything around us.

      "It's all Made With Love." I conclude, kissing her forehead as she leans into me.

_________________________________

I think I'm going to cry from the happiness of finishing this and the sadness of having to leave these two lovebirds! 😭😢