Chapter 45: My Shot

Insert Hamilton reference here! 😊

~4 months later in June...

Vanessa's POV:

    Brooklyn was putting the final touches on my makeup as I thought about what Lance might be thinking right now.

"Oh, V! You look like a princess. And for the final piece..." Brooklyn trialed off, removing a veil spotted with sparkling diamonds along with a simple but beautiful flower tiara. I gasped,

"Brooklyn, we've already got a veil."

"Yes, but this is the one you were eyeing when we got the dress. And this tiara is my wedding gift to you." She explained as she carefully positioned the tiara on top of the veil.

"You are amazing, you know that right?" I told her.

"Shhh. Today is your day to be amazing." She whispered as she helped me out of the chair. I faced the full-length mirror and took in my appearance. I usually avoid mirrors, but today, I kept looking.

"Vanessa, you've got 8 minutes to get to the staircase." My father announced from outside the room.

"Are you ready?" Brooklyn asked, about to untie the smock she wore to protect her light aqua maid of honor dress.

"Yes." I replied confidently, stepping into the 3'', slightly off-white heels that would make the outfit. Brooklyn fixed my veil and then opened the door, revealing my dad in a classic tuxedo.

"Aw, my baby girl. You look gorgeous!" He exclaimed, extending his hand. Brooklyn handed me my bouquet of light blue and white roses. I hooked my arm through my dad's and then clasped the bouquet with both hands. Brooklyn walked ahead of us as the maid of honor and my dad and I walked behind her.

As we entered the room adjacent to the main room where the procession was lined up, we could see the church fill up with uncles, aunts, and other relatives. But I couldn't see Lance, damn my shortness. 

Once I gave the signal, the organist began playing the song for the groomsmen and bridesmaids. Once the other people from the bridal party went ahead, Brooklyn walked down the aisle, reached the front and then the moment had arrived for me to walk down the aisle. My dad smiled and we began walking down the aisle, slowly.

As soon as I got around the bend, I could see my husband-to-be dressed up in a shawl collar tux with a pastel boutonniere. My heart soared when I saw him smiling broadly, looking directly at me, not at anyone else. By the time my dad and I had walked to the front, my heart was in the sky with happiness. My dad released my arm, gave me a kiss on the cheek, and I handed Brooklyn my bouquet. My dad paused in front of my love and whispered something in his ear that elicited a solemn nod from Lance.

I stepped up the 3 marble steps to reach Lance and the priest. Lance took my hand and gave it a little squeeze, his eyes glinting with excitement. The priest droned on and on but we both knew that all we wanted to do was say "I do" and seal the deal.

Finally, we got to our vows, which Lance started off, 

  I promise to be your lover, companion, and friend,

Your partner in parenthood,
Your ally in conflict,
Your greatest fan and your toughest adversary.
Your comrade in adventure,
Your student and your teacher,
Your consolation in disappointment,
Your accomplice in mischief.
This is my sacred vow to you, my equal in all things. All things in life and longer."  

He slipped the ring onto my finger and the priest signaled for me to recite my vows, 

  "You are my lover and my teacher,
You are my model and my accomplice,
And you are my true counterpart.
I will love you, hold you and honor you,
I will respect you, encourage you and cherish you,
In health and sickness,
Through sorrow and success,
For all the days of my life and beyond."