Chapter 34: Trouble

Unknown POV:
    "Everything's set up boss, they will be out in 25 minutes."

     "Good, make sure this time, Lance doesn't get in the way. I want her in my hands by noon. Or else,"

Vanessa's POV:

     I stood by the window, watching Lance, Troy, and their father chop the tree into parts so at least one side of the driveway was open. Since it was quite hot, Lance wasn't wearing a shirt, looking fine.

     He turned to the window and waved, I waved back smiling. Sighing, I bit my lip, wondering what he was thinking.

    I was definitely excited to see his hometown, knowing it shaped him into the man he is today. I wonder if he had a favorite place here, hm... I'll have to ask. 

A few minutes of staring out the window and I noticed that they were pretty much done clearing half the driveway. Must have been some storm, but I'm just glad there weren't any structural issues. 

He walked into the house, sweat dripping down his chest, and I resisted every urge to look at his bare front. Must not look. I focused instead on his eyes.

   "I'm just gonna shower and we'll head out, 'kay?" He drawled, taking a swig of the water I handed him. 

 I nodded and sat down on the couch, knowing this would take a bit.

Lance's POV:

   I could feel her eyes glancing down at my chest, and I couldn't help but feel a little proud. If her flushed face was anything to go by, she was having a nice time. Unfortunately, I knew the traffic around lunch time is pretty bad, so we had to leave the house by at least noon. 

  In the shower, I thought about which places I would take her to. Definitely the library and the chocolatiers. Hmm...would the park be too gushy? Oh who am I kidding, she makes me gushy. When I'm with her, I don't need to be Lance, the smart quarterback. I could be Lance, the kinda okay cook, Ravenclaw, and book nerd. 

   If there's one thing I learned so far, it would be that my Vaness is the perfect woman. Now whether she's the perfect woman for me, that's still undetermined. I could see us having a future together, but maybe I'm blinded by the honeymoon period?

    Going down the stairs, I finalized my list. I'd take her out the park where they have a really good Spanish food truck. Then we'd take the Turnpike to the next town over so she could see my high school. Then we'd head to the library and food shops for lunch.

   When I turned into the living room, I found her beside the bookshelf, organizing them. 

    "Ready?" She asked, rising from the ground, as she placed the final book in its place.

    "Yup. Did you organize my bookshelf? You didn't have to do that, but thanks!" I exclaimed, surprised. 

    "Uh, yeah. Sorry, it was bothering me. The books that should be at the end were at the beginning and it was really irking me. I hope you don't mind." She mumbled, looking down. Dammnit, why does she always do that? I lifted her chin so her eyes met mine.

    "Vaness, I'd been meaning to organize that shelf for a very long time. I'm thankful you did that." I wrapped her in a hug, savoring the feeling.

    "You're welcome," I heard her mumble, pressed against my chest. 

    Releasing her, I grabbed my keys and we headed out. Once we were buckled in, I asked, 

     "Have you got a playlist?" 

      "I've got a playlist for everything, Brown Eyes," She playfully poked me, hooking her phone up to the Bluetooth. Out came the upbeat rhythm of Shakira's Hips Don't Lie and she started dancing in her seat, making both of us chuckle. I turned into the main road and asked, 

  "Hungry for Spanish food?" to which she nodded, so I turned into the park, where like clockwork, the authentic Spanish food truck I'd always buy dinner from after practice was standing, opening its window. Ramón was in the kitchen just like I remembered and he waved to which I waved back. 

    "How do you know him?" She inquired, a little confused. 

    "This food truck has been here since I was in high school. I'd always buy dinner after practice here. Ramón has been the main cook since then. His sister, Esperanza, graduated with me. She's a songwriter." I answered, enjoying her astonishment. 

    "Ramón, we'll have two of my regulars. Still, remember what that is?" 

   "Sí, Señor Lance ! 2 chicken tacos and 2 bowls coming up! Grab a seat, Señora!" He yelled, disappearing inside. 

   "Um, we aren't married. He knows that right?" She whispered, turning pink. 

   "Uh, I think he kinda just assumed. I haven't even brought Kat here. This is kind of my place when I want to just talk and distress," 

    Her eyes widened as the word sunk in, and then she laced her hand with mine. 

  "Thanks for sharing this with me," she whispered.

    I pressed a kiss to her temple, conveying my emotions. 

   Ramón appeared, placing out orders on the table. We thanked him and he just gave me a look that said, Good job, don't screw up. 

    As Vaness bit into her taco, her moan told me all I needed to know. Satisfied, I ate my own taco. Mostly our conversation was how late practice would run that I wouldn't eat dinner at home, how good the food is, and what's next. 

    We finished up and we said bye to Ramón, before heading back to the car. 

   "Next stop, my high school and Blossom Heights Library!" I announced, putting the car into drive. 

    "Oooo, library!" She giggled, clapping her hands. 

  We took the exit for the next town over, Maple Falls, and it wasn't until Vaness told me that there was a suspicious car behind us, did I notice the huge Escalade behind us that was practically tailgating us. 

    "Hmm...Let me lose it," I announced, speeding up. The van sped up, switching to the lane to the right of us. Just then, another Escalade pulled up to the left of us, basically sandwiching us. What the heck was going on?

    I pressed harder on the gas, hoping to lose them at the exit, but I guess they figured that plan out since the van to the left started edging closer, forcing me to get closer to the right van. Crap, that would put Vaness in danger. I looked over, her face displaying total panic. I made a split second decision and stepped on the brake, surprising all of us. 

  What I didn't plan for was the storm of gunshots from behind. 

________________________________________________________________

DUN, DUN, DUN........

I know, I know, why???

Mostly 'cause I like leaving all ya' on the edge of your seats/couch/chair/wherever you may be reading. Hehe :)

Happier notes: 

1. I'm actually shocked that 54% of Made With Love readers are not from the US! That makes me so happy to know that so many of you are reading from around the world! :)

2. We have reached 2.5K reads! I cannot believe that just a little ago we had reached 2K!

So...new goal?

Goal: 300 votes

I'm pretty sure that if everyone reading this voted just on this chapter we'd reach our goal!

So if you like this story thus far and you'd like more people to read it...

Don't forget to comment, share, and VOTE!

That's all for now!