Chapter 39: Return to Maple Hills

2 weeks later...

Vanessa's POV:

We started the long drive back to my hometown, Maple Hills.

Lance's expertly created playlist blasted thru the speakers as we got on to the turnpike and enjoyed the semi-tolerable car karaoke of one another.

After 2 stops for gas, 3 bathroom breaks, and 2 coffees later, we turned into Maple Estates, where my childhood home stood. Next door, Brooklyn, and Chase were already inside since they had come down lll a day earlier.

Lance looked at me. His eyes locked on mine,

"We are in this together."

With that, we exited the car and I rang the doorbell. Sad really. I still don't have a key to the house. Or a parent eagerly waiting for my arrival. I pressed my nails into my palm in an effort to restrain the tears threatening to fall.

The door was opened by Griselda. Our housekeeper. She had spent many nights making me tea and making sure I was up in time for the bus. Essentially a second mother. Lance surprised me with his sudden grip of my hand.

With his other hand outstretched, he introduced himself,

"Good afternoon, I'm Lance Fields, Vaness's boyfriend."

"Oh honey, I don't shake hands, I hug." With that, she embraced both of us in a motherly hug that brought me close to tears, her familiar scent of citrus and vanilla reminding me of the many afternoons we spent in the kitchen, scooping cupcake batter into pans. 

    "It's so good to see you, Elda. Let me guess, work." 

   "And the prize goes to the lady!" She exclaimed, remembering our old game. We stepped inside and Lance walked ahead with the duffel bag. Griselda stopped me and clasped my hands, 

   "You've already got a prize, dear." sending me a wink. 

   My eyes widened, and I blushed, 

   "Elda!"

  "Oh don't deny it. Any man who has the courage to walk thru these doors and looks at you like you are his world is a keeper. Oh, we're gonna have to talk later, Brooklyn and her man are upstairs, waiting for you." She scurried off just as Lance came back and hooked an arm around my waist. 

    "You alright?" I nodded, so we walked upstairs where Brooklyn and Chase were unpacking, singing along to some song or the other. 

    "Nessa! You won't believe what they've transformed the gymnasium into! It looks so much better than our actual prom. The welcome party starts in just a few hours, so we've got to get ready!" She yelled, her excitement contagious. She pushed Chase out of the room and shooed Lance away. 

    "Time to make this happen!"

----Lance's POV:

      We headed to a room at the end of the hallway, where our stuff was set up. 

    "She needs this man. I know you probably won't screw up, but....don't screw up. If you do, trust me, the Academy taught me well." He sent me an extremely fatherly look that meant business. 

    "Got it. I don't plan on screwing up."

  "Now, go get ready and woo the heels off of her." Chase urged, handing me the tuxedo bag.