Chapter 15: Dresses Galore

Lance's POV:

We walked into the shop, the little bell on the door rang, alerting Brooklyn of our presence. She got up from her chair in front of the 3-way mirror and started speaking quickly, mostly to Vaness.

"Lizzie is pulling a few dresses for you, Sof's got the tuxes for you, and the champagne is really good!" She squealed, handing a flute of rose champagne to me. I turned to Vaness and offered her the flute,

"I don't drink alcohol. I'm going to go check on Brooklyn." She told me, walking towards the racks of dresses in all different colors, shapes, and sizes.

"Hello, I'm Sof. You must be Lance. I've got the tuxedos right here, let me know when you want some help." A girl in a skin-tight black dress tells me, leaning over more than was necessary.

"Thank you, but I'll wait for Vaness to finish," I responded, taking a seat and placing the flute on the tiny side table decorated with roses.

"Brooklyn? Are you sure this is a good dress for me?" I hear her muffled voice say from behind the curtain.

"It's one of the three I picked out. You liked the black dress, I know what you like, trust me." Brooklyn replied.

"Fine, this one is option one. Lance? Are you sitting out there?"

"Yup," I respond.

Vaness steps out in a long, midnight blue dress that was accented with a faux diamond belt and sweetheart neckline. I liked this one, but I could tell that this long of a dress was making her insecure about her height.

"So, yay or nay?" She asked, biting her lip and wringing her hands. She looked pleadingly at me.

"Uh, um. Nay?" I said, unsure if that was the right answer.

"See, he said no. Next one." She exclaimed, hurriedly walking behind the curtain. Only then did I see that there was practically no back! Now her expression made sense.

A few minutes later, she re-emerged from the dressing room and stepped up in a short maroon number that also had a faux diamond belt around the cross seam. Again, she bit her lip, wrung her hands, and waited anxiously for our decision.

"Nah." Brooklyn and I announced at the same time.

"Off we go. There's one more that I think you will really like." Brooklyn said as she whisked Vaness away again. As I waited, I looked around, seeing that the posters and ad campaigns all had models who probably could've not worn anything larger than a 2. No wonder Vaness has weight insecurities, being surrounded by this world can have its cons.

"Maybe this is the one."

"It's not like we are shopping for a wedding dress Brooke. Just a reunion/prom dress." Vaness huffed, as she turned to face me and the mirrors. Her face lit up as she took in the dress and it's flowing fabric. She was no longer biting her lip or wringing her hands, and actually looked hopeful.

She turned on the platform when Brooke commanded her to, so I could see the entirety of this dress that lit up her face. The back consisted of the bejeweled shoulder strap attached to the back of the dress.

"Yes." I whole-heartedly agreed to her unspoken question. Her face broke out into a broad smile as she trudged off the platform with an assistant hurrying behind her to package it.

When everything with her dress was said and done, we moved on to my tuxedos. Sof offered to help me into the tuxes, but that task was reserved for my girl. Even though she seemed flustered at the thought of helping me behind closed curtains, she agreed with a shy smile.