17: The Awakening

Kai looked down into the courtyard. 'What the hell?' he said as he viewed the cloud of dust with Cole at it's centre. He stood up and flung the window open just as Jay released a powerful burst of electrical energy into the ground. 'What is going on?' he thought and ran out of his room heading for the courtyard. He practically flattened Lloyd to the wall as he passed him in the corridor and shouted back at him 'FIGHT'.

'..What?' Lloyd followed, confused.

They burst out into the courtyard as they saw Jay leaving through the main gates. Cole was sat with his arms on his knees, looking down into the dust.

'Cole' said Kai. 'What the hell was that?' Cole gave Kai a cursory glance up and shrugged. 'What is wrong with you?' continued Kai. 'You have been on the wrong side of darkness since you returned. I know that place was whack, but you're home now buddy, you've got to forget about it'.

'I can't' he replied and spat some blood onto the dust.

'Wow, that must have been some punch' Lloyd chimed in. 'What did you do to piss Blue Jay off?'

'Took his girl'.

That rendered them mute.

The blow came out of nowhere. The second for the day. As Cole peeled himself off the ground, he looked back at Kai, being restrained by Lloyd as best he could. 'Guess I deserved that too' he said.

Kai was apoplectic. Fire raged within him, his eyes were red and his teeth were bared. 'You are not worthy of her' he spat. 'What kind of friend are you?'

'Face it Kai' Cole interjected 'in your eyes, nobody's good enough for Nya. Last time I looked even poor old Jay was under scrutiny. Figure I might just be able to take the fallout and stand a chance.' He stood and squared up to Kai.

Lloyd was frozen, not entirely sure how to deal with this turn of events. Was he going to have to pull apart a fight between these two powerhouses? He didn't like his chances if he did. 'Uh, guys, lets just keep it calm ok?' He attempted to mediate. Kai's hands had begun to flame and both stepped back, sinking into their knees ready for first strike.

Cole had no need to strike, his blocks could break an opponents arm. He hoped this wouldn't happen, but it wasn't his way to walk away from a fight. Especially when it wasn't justified. Kai always overreacted, like Nya wasn't allowed her own free will. It was for her to say how this would play out not Kai.

Lloyd jumped between them, looking for all intents like a scared, but brave rabbit. 'No powers guys, Break it up NOW!'

'What is going on here?' came a shout from Sensei Wu. 'This is NOT behaviour fit for my students'. The three jumped to a form of attention, scrappy and dishevelled. Wu walked in front of them. 'Cole, you are needed inside. Kai I will talk with you alone. Lloyd please make Kai and myself some tea and please send Zane to find Jay'.

'Yes Sensei' they all uttered together.

Misako was waiting for Cole by the door and motioned for him to come inside. 'It's ok Misako. I'll just go to my room. I really don't want to talk about it'.

'No', came her strong answer. 'You will come with me'. She turned and Cole could really only follow.

'Misako, I really don't feel like doing anything right now. Nothing will take my mind off of... what my mind is on. If its chores, really, I'll do it later' he pleaded.

Misako turned to look at him. She placed a gentle hand on his arm and gave him a soft smile. 'Cole, please' a request for quiet. She had stopped at the corridor leading to the bedrooms. 'Nya is awake'.

A relief washed over him. Misako could see in his face, the lifting of pain, sorrow and anguish. She would remember that look for her entire life. It was all she needed to see to tell her that what he felt for Nya was real 'She asked to see you before everyone. Even Kai.'

The release he felt was overwhelming. But he had to be sure. He couldn't rest just yet. He composed himself. Smiled a crooked grin at Misako and proceeded to walk the length of the corridor to Nya's room. He knocked and opened the door.

Cole stood in the doorway. 'Nya?'

'Cole'... was all she said. But her face said so much more. She raised her arms to him and he rushed forward to hold her. The drips and monitors, cumbersome and restricting, held them apart a little but she was laughing her beautiful laugh and Cole found he was smiling for the first time since they had returned. He held her face gently and kissed her.

'Welcome back' he said.