One glance at the water made me shiver with fear a little. I didn't want to look at it because it made my stomach feel painful and weird. I'm still alive and I was so close to dying. The fact that I was about to meet my death was still very hard and frightening to take it. It was a miracle I survived. 

I felt myself vibrating and my heart beating faster and faster. I gasped for some air and choked out some water. I was petrified from the incident and cold from the breeze of the summer wind. I gulped and sat up a little and looked around. There were about ten eyes staring at me with both relief and worry. I didn't know any of them but they looked like they've been so worried. I noticed the two little boys I saw earlier, jumping up and down with joy. They chanted "The girl woke up! The girl woke up!"  

"Rose," Eric said, sighing with relief. "You're okay." 

Eric was just as wet as I was. He had water dripping from his hair and I noticed that he was shirtless but this time I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I was just glad he too was alright. His trousers were creating a puddle on the grass and he had tiny droplets of water on his face that glittered in the sun. 

He smiled at me but I could see the fear and worry in his eyes. I couldn't understand why, but I felt as if he also had a bit of anger floating around his body that he was trying to hide from me. Remembering what had happened on the boat made me think of a thousand questions, which were now whizzing around my head. How did the hole happen? When did the hole appear? 

Slowly, I tried to form a smile on my face but even that was too hard at the moment. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing would come out. I was still scared and trying to breathe normally. Gulping a couple of times, I looked at Eric. 

"I...I'm alive," I stuttered, quietly. 

"You were lucky Hun," a women, who looked like she was at her early thirties, said and smiled sympathetically.  "This lad right here managed to yank you out of the water in time and may I say, he is a very fast swimmer," she added, pointing at Eric. 

I glanced at the lady and then back at Eric, who was demanding for some towels. I stared at him, gratefully. This was the second time he was saving me today. I never even got to thank him properly and yet I still don’t know how to thank him in a way that he deserves. Just saying two words wasn't going to pay him back for all the time he saved me and helped me. 

"Thank you," I whispered when he turned back to face me.

I instantly leaned forwards and opened my arms and wrapped them around him, tightly. He must have been confused for a second because he wasn't hugging me back but seconds later I felt his two hands on my back. 

I suddenly felt tears in my eyes and one by one, they slid down my cheeks and jumped off the edge of my chin. It was hard keeping in the tears but keeping them in was just building up all the pain inside me. But I held them in a little longer because I didn't want to burst into tears in front of everybody. And the fact that I had almost seen mum right in front of me made me want to cry even more. But it was just a dream. 

"You’re alright now and that's all that matters," he whispered in my ear. "You don't have to thank me for saving you." 

"B...But," I tried to argue back but my voice was too shaky for me to speak. 

"Rose," he said. "I'm your friend and I would do anything for you." 

We both let each other go and I nodded my head at him, slowly and smiled. I forgot that there was still an audience but the two little boys began to do a little dance and they made kissing noises which made me laugh. I heard their mother scowl at them and Eric and I just exchanged looks, trying not to laugh.