Remember Me [9]

- C H A P T E R  N I N E - 

We've been walking for almost twenty minutes and Eric hasn't said anything. Every time I glanced at him, he smiled nervously and said 'We're almost here' but I was sure he was lying. 

My legs began to ache and I was almost out of breath. I frowned.

"Eric, I'm tired," I moaned.

"We're almost here," he said again and I gave him a blank look.

"You know what," I said, fed up. "You're going to give me a piggyback ride."

"No way," he said, backing away from me. "I would probably die by carrying you. I mean, look at the size of you." He gestured his hand towards my stomach and made a wide gap between the two hands. Basically, he was calling me fat.

Was I really that fat?

"Oh...um," I felt a little embarrassed to his comment so I wasn't sure of what to say.

He must have noticed because he walked towards me and stood in front of me, his back facing my body. "Jump on," he said, warmly.

"But I thought I was-"

"Rose-Mary," he laughed. "Just get on."

I shrugged my shoulders and jumped up onto his back. He held my legs whilst I wrapped my arms around his neck, trying not to strangle him to death. Instead of choking, he laughed. 

"That tickles," he said, laughing and began to walk. 

 "Am I...Am I heavy?" I asked, quietly.

 He chuckled. "Rose, I was joking. You're as light as a feather and you're absolutely not fat at all." 

"Oh," I said, cheering up. "That's good." 

For the next five minutes, we carried on walking or at least Eric was. We both made jokes about each other but some of his jokes weren’t funny but I laughed anyway. There was just something about him that made me want to laugh. Maybe it was the fact that he began to get tired of carrying me and started panting like a mad dog. 

"Eric, I won't torture you anymore," I laughed, hopping off his back.

"I was going to drop you right now anyway," he said, smirking which had me confused. 

"Why do you have that weird smile on your face?" I asked. 

He stared at the motorbike and then at me. I had a really bad feeling about this. 

*  *  *

Eric," I cried, holding onto him tightly, digging my nails into his jumper. "Please, I beg you. Slow down." 

I knew the minute he looked at that stupid motorbike he would do something with it. Why did I have to go with his idea? I think I would have preferred to walk. No, I wouldn't. But stealing a motorbike was beyond my expectations. I thought he was going to ask if he could borrow the bike but come to think of it, there was a possibility the owner would say no. The worst part was, Eric didn't show me how he hotwired it; he said that these techniques were not to be spoken about to a girl, which then earned him a slap on his head but still he didn't say anything. 

"Relax," he said, calmly. "I've driven these before." 

"You remembered?" I said in a questioning tone. 

"Only that," he quickly answered. 

"What if a police comes?" I said, worried again. "We'll go to jail and I will never get a good job, not that I will get one anytime sooner but the point is-"