C H A P T E R 5 | Elephant Ears

Start from the beginning

I could never tell anyone about my dad because then I would be the girl with 'daddy issues'. I wouldn't hear the end of it from Casey and Payton; they would probably always tell me "he isn't worth the time thinking" or " he is a selfish man". I really don't need to hear it to understand the truth.

We arrived at the carnival a little while later, once we rolled up in the parking lot music filled my ears along with kids screaming at the top of their lungs.

I knew I wouldn't enjoy myself here, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Payton and Jake conjoined hands as I stayed behind, fiddling with the camera.

Without them knowing I snapped a few pictures from behind but didn't realize Payton was practically yelling at Jake. So I decided to stop taking pictures and stay quiet.

Whatever she was yelling at him for, I am no way ending up in the middle. The fight lasted a couple minutes longer until Jake apologized. I thought their relationship was perfectly fine, but it seemed like Jake is stuck in it, not wanting to be with her and just trapped. But that was just my opinion, he could be very happy with her but the way Payton was screaming at him, I know I would not be in that relationship still if I had a choice.

After they posed a couple times, Payton ran to get some corn dogs for herself and Jake. She never asked me if I wanted one, but probably because I'm 'starving' myself. Jake looked at me with curiosity an I looked up from my camera.

"What are you hiding?" he asked.

"Excuse me?" I exclaimed as I let out a small chuckle.

"You are hiding something, I know you are, I saw you face when Payton explained all the pictures she needed," he said, crossing his arms.

"I zoned out," I lied.

"Bella, what's going on?" He urged.

"Nothing, I promise," I lied again.

"What are you guys talking about?" Payton asked, handing Jake a corn dog then looked at me. "Oh sorry Bella I forgot to ask you if you want one," she frowned.

"It's fine, I'm not hungry," I smiled.

"Oh yeah, I forgot, you don't eat," she stated, biting into her corn dog.

"Really Payton," Jake said angrily.

"Excuse me," I smiled and set my camera on the table, grabbing my purse.

If I was at a fair, I should be enjoying it, not being Peyton's slave. I went to a game booth and gave the employees a five dollar bill. The game was called "Ring Toss". I had no clue what a ring toss is or how the game works, but next thing I knew, a guy was besides me.

"Do you know how to play?" He asked.

"Truthfully, no," I laughed.

"It's all about the wrist," he explained, and started to wiggly his wrist. "Let me show you," he smiled, grabbed a ring and threw it perfectly on a bottle.

"You make it look so easy," I gawked, looking into his deep green eyes.

"You can't be that bad, just try," he stated, making me throw my ring and breaking a bottle.

"Um, yeah, never again," I blushed in embarrassment and handed the rest of rings to this random guy.

He threw the last three of them on bottles and landed them, once again, perfectly.

"Are you a witch?" I asked, and squinted my eyes at him.

"Nah, I'm a warlock," he teased as he grabbed a panda bear from the prize booth and handed it to me.

"Your prize, your highness." he smirked. "My name is Mason, your hero of the ring toss," he cheekily introduced.

"My name is Bella," I smiled.

"Isabella?" He questioned, tangling his fingers in his chocolate brown hair.

"That's my name, but Bella is shorter, so people tend to use it more."

"Bella isn't the name your mother chose at birth, Isabella was, so from here and out, I will call you Isabella," he smirked.

"I'll let it slide but not forever," I teased.

"Is this your first fair?" Mason casually questioned.

"It sure does look like it, but it's not I went to the fair a lot with my dad," I smiled. I never told anyone that, what has gotten into me?

"Your dad never took you again?"

"My dad hasn't been around," I shrugged, walking besides him.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he frowned.

"It's fine, it's not your fault," I smiled.

"If it makes you feel any better, my mum died from cancer when I was seven," He causally said as if it was nothing.

"How was that suppose to make be feel better?" I exclaimed.

"Because I wanted you to know that you aren't the only one with a very complicated family," he smiled.

"Well thanks and I'm sorry about your mother."

"She's still with me, maybe not physically, but mentally," he explained as we it closer to a bench.

"So are here with anyone?"

"I came with my friends, but one of them said something which made me uncomfortable, so I left," I explained as I sat down on the bench and so did he.

"Well she's stupid," he shrugged, making me laugh. "And so is your father, I know you might not need anyone to say it, because when my mum died; everyone said the exact same thing and I got sick of it, but your father made the biggest mistake of his life leaving you," he smiled.

Wow, that statement is new and it almost seemed like he meant it.

"That means a lot but I haven't told anyone about my father," I looked at the ground.

"And you told a stranger?" he laughed.

"I know your name, so you not a stranger," I pointed out.

"You know what would make us less strangers?" he questioned as he sat up straight.

"What?"

"If we got some elephant ears!" he laughed, wiggling his brows.

"I thought you'd never ask," I laughed.