A Trip to Grandma's

“W-What are you doing inside my house?” Chelsy asked, hiding behind me like a scared little puppy.
“Now that’s funny.” The boy named Jay scoffed. “I usually get praises right after saving somebody not questions.” He said, eyeing Chelsy intently.
“I’m sure she didn’t mean it like that.” I replied while stepping right in front of him. “We really appreciate what you did in there and I believe that we already offered our thanks.” I tried not to sound snobby and rude but I just can’t help myself, the way he talked to Chelsy, the way he carried himself with arrogance, it just sent me over. He was staring at me as I spoke, an irritatingly conceited smile plastered across his face.
“Yeah, I heard you.” He said, taking a step towards me where we could speak eye to eye. He was as tall as I am and judging from his looks I bet he was the same age as me too. “But I can’t seem to recall hearing hers.” He said with emphasis. We glared at each other for what seemed like hours, his rich golden eyes staring into mine.
“P-Please don’t fight!” Chelsy cried. “I-I’m sorry for being rude. A-And thank you for saving us.”
Jay smiled, a hint of satisfaction in his eyes. “Now that wasn’t too hard was it?” He said while looking at Chelsy, which she returned with a small whimper.
“Well then now that’s all settled we should be going.” I said while grabbing Chelsy by the arm and started for the door.
“Where are you going?” Jay called out from behind our backs. Anywhere away from you. I thought to myself. I knew just from looking at him that Jay was a physically fit kid based on his body’s physique. The way he carried himself also suggested confidence, meaning he knew he could face or maybe take on whatever that crossed his path. Great, physical fitness and confidence the two things I never quite mastered.
“Hey I’m talking to you!” Jay called out again but this time I could hear his shoes tapping on the wooden floor with each step.
“Anywhere.” I said so suddenly that I even surprised myself.
“Huh?” Jay cocked his head.
“We don’t exactly have a destination.” I looked back at him only to find a smug grin across his face.
“You’re lost aren’t you?”
“N-No we’re not!” I could feel my face heating up from either embarrassment or anger, probably anger.
“Allen.” Chelsy tugged at my shirt. “We could try my grandmother’s house.”
“Your grandmother’s house?”

“How much farther is your grandma’s house again?” I asked for at least a dozen times already. We had left as soon as we had our destination in mind and had been walking along a dirt path for at least half an hour. As we walked I can’t seem to stop fidgeting for some reason. I kept on glancing from tree to tree and kept on smelling the air, I just can’t seem to force myself to look at the forest and feel relaxed and at ease, not since the incident with Letty. However, in contrast with my anxiety Chelsy seemed to be having the time of her life. She had been like that since we left, taking deep breaths of the cool mountain air, basking in the steady stream of sunlight from the clear blue sky, and staring with amazement at the luscious vegetation around us. At least one of us is happy I thought to myself. Leaving Chelsy in her delightful mood I found myself staring back at the way we came. Chelsy’s house seemed like nothing more like a dot now, a brown speck placed on a plain green background. Chelsy had said that she always took this road when she went to visit her grandma and that it was perfectly safe, but I just can’t shake off a small feeling of dread in my chest. I was still staring at the scenery when a dirtied brown hood with two black dots on it popped into view. I turned away, irritated. The boy, Jay, had been following us since we left the house, just walking a few feet behind us. He walked steadily and silently as we traveled, a bored look strapped on his face. I sighed. He just had to come with us. Why can’t he just stay inside the house? I said to myself. I don’t know what but I just can’t seem to make peace with him. I sighed once again and fished out the paper Jay had handed me, well shoved at me to be precise, from my pocket. I was still fuming back then and I didn’t even bother to look at it until now, so unfolding the crumpled paper with my hands I started to read.

My grandma in the woods had a job making medicine
When my mother ran out of medicine, I’d go to grandma’s house.
One day mother told me to go there as always.
Today, she wanted to give a present too. Since she was indebted to her.
‘It’s full of bread and wine, but you’re not to eat it along the way.
Like I always tell you don’t stray from the path.
Because there’s a scary wolf.’
I said I’d do as she said and left the house.
While walking through the forest I found a pretty flower garden.”

“Allen are you okay?” Chelsy asked while rubbing my back. We had been walking nonstop for at least two hours and by now I could already feel my knees ache and my feet throb.
“I’m okay.” I panted. “Just catching my breath.”
“If you’re tired maybe you should stop.” Jay called out from behind. He was probably smirking when he said that but I’m not really sure since I was too busy catching my breath.
“He’s right Allen maybe we should take a break.” Chelsy added which I just answered with a nod. We continued walking just for a few minutes then came upon a large patch of flowers. There were so many of them, daisies, roses, carnations, and others I didn’t know in all sorts of colors. We decided to stop here and rest, and as soon as we did I dropped myself on the soft green grass and closed my eyes, enjoying the fragrant aroma around me. I heard Chelsy sit beside me and Jay probably did the same thing too just a few feet away.
“Oh… Allen?” Chelsy whispered.
“Yeah?”
“Before you came… I saw Teacher.” She said so softly that I could barely hear her.
“Teacher?” I echoed and she nodded.
“He said not to go anywhere but… I broke my promise.” She whimpered, her head hanging low with shame.
“Well… nothing we could do about it now.” I knew what she was feeling right now, I too felt the same way when I disobeyed Teacher and went to the second floor. She must be feeling so angry and confused, probably like she’s being crushed by her guilt, I knew I was. In an effort to cheer her up I picked a daisy from the ground and slid it in her hair.
“I’m sure he’d understand.” I offered my best smile and she smiled back.
“Thank you Allen.” She said a soft shade of pink on her cheeks.
“N-No problem.” I said, turning away and forcing myself on my feet.
“Should we go look for him?”
“Hmm… Yeah.” I offered my hand. “But I think we might just bump into him along the way to your grandma’s”
“Y-Yeah, you’re right.” She giggled then grabbed my hand.
“Let’s go then.” I smiled, pulling her up to her feet.

“Huh? Where’s the bridge?” Chelsy asked out loud but I couldn’t answer her because I was confused too since the path had been leading us flawlessly until now. A wide and raging river stood in our way and on the shore where the dirt path had abruptly ended there was no bridge for us to cross. I took another step closer to the river and dipped my finger in the water. It was cool and clear but the current was too strong for us to swim across. Chelsy was beside me now and Jay just an earshot away.
“W-What now? We can’t get to grandma’s.” She whispered.
“In a jam?” An all too familiar voice suddenly said from behind us which made Chelsy jump.
“Hello Alice and…” Cheshire’s gaze shifted from me to Chelsy and Jay who had decided to meet our uninvited guest. “Hoho! Two other Alices” Cheshire chuckled.
Chelsy whimpered as she tried to hide behind me, her gaze never leaving Cheshire as she did.
“Don’t stare too hard. It’s deadly y’know.” Cheshire said gloomily then laughed so hard that he almost fell. “Just kiddin, don’t freak!”
“Friend of yours?” Jay asked, coming beside us.
“An acquaintance.” I said bluntly then turned towards Cheshire. “What is it Cheshire?”
“So you wanna cross the river I hear?” Cheshire said, composing himself.
“Y-Yes. W-We want to see my grandma.” Chelsy answered from behind me.
“I’ll take you over.”
“Y-You will?” Chelsy’s asked, her eyes filled with anticipation.
“Just kiddin!” Cheshire suddenly shrieked. “I’m not some kind of boatman y’know.”
“C’mon give us a break.” I cried out from frustration.
“A break you say? Well ok I’ll take you across.” Cheshire suddenly chuckled but then suddenly his voice became dark and sinister. “But it ain’t free”
“What’s the price?” I asked, though I really don’t want to know the answer. Something about Cheshire was creeping into me, sending shivers down my spine and drenching me in cold sweat.
“One of you should stay here. That’s all it takes.”
I could feel my throat tighten. Obviously neither I nor Chelsy should be left behind, leaving Jay as the most logical choice. He meant nothing to us, he was just along for the ride, but as I was thinking about it Jay spoke up.
“That’s a little unfair don’t you think?”
“Hmm? What is?” Cheshire smiled.
“Your price. It’s too much for a boat ride don’t you think?” Jay said taking a step closer towards Cheshire.
“Then what do you plan to do Alice?” Cheshire hissed.
“How about a game? If we win you take all of us across the river. Of course you can pick what game to play.” He said taking another step.
“What if I win?”
“Then you won’t have to take us. You can just run back to the hole where you came from.” Jay chuckled. He seemed to have placed a promising offer to Cheshire since it took a while for Cheshire to reply but then all of a sudden Cheshire chuckled.
“Tempting but no.” Cheshire said, stretching his paws as if he was bored.
Jay smiled. “You drive a hard bargain Mister Cat. How about this? When we win you take us across and if you win you still can take these two across.” Jay said, gesturing to me and Chelsy.
“And as a bonus you get something from me.”
“And what would that be?” Cheshire asked, he and Jay were almost face to face.
“My life.”