Chapter 8

Are you the one in orange?~ A

She felt her heartbeat increasing as she looked up to see if there's anyone staring at her. But they were only ladies in the hall.

Did he see her?
Is he in this hall?
Maybe he just saw her in pictures.

Different thoughts ran through her head. She started contemplating on whether to reply him or just ignore him. He was so rude and arrogant at first but since he apologized she saw no reason not to forgive him. And as she was quite bored, she decided to reply him.

Urh? Did you see me?~ N

Yes, I couldn't help seeing you. You were the only one not wearing the ashobi~ A

Wow! You really are the one, what a coincedence.~ A

I can't believe it. It's a small world.~ A

I know right. It is really a small world~N

She smiled at that, it really is a small world. Who on earth would ever think after the huge fight they had they would ever meet in real life. She looked up and saw her seat mates all dancing.  She was about to reply him when she heard her mom's voice.

"How could you just be sitting here using your phone? Can't you see all you friends are dancing and enjoying themselves? You look like someone who has been forced to come here, hurry up and join your friends,"

She almost answered, 'they are not my friends and you forced me to come,' but instead she said,

"Sure Mamie."

Nabeela watched ten more dances and watched Hafsa and her friends having fun and enjoying themselves while she just sat there wishing she was in Kano cuddled up in her blankets eating, reading or sleeping. The only thing she enjoyed in the wedding was the delicious food. After the food, they started getting ready to go back home.

They were all exhausted when they went back home. They immediately changed to their nighties and got ready for bed after all, the next day was going to be another long day.

Nabeela started getting ready early the next day as she hated doing things in rush. Immediately after Salatul Asr, she took a bath and changed into her outfits for the day. A purple and golden gown with a golden head. She put the golden jewelries Mamie lent to her to wear specially for the day. When the makeup artist came, Nabeela was the only one ready so  the makeup artist started with her face. Even though Nabeela didn't want to wear makeup, her mom forced her to, saying, "Everyone will be looking beautiful and you'll be looking like a duck? Allow her to make you look beautiful" . Nabeela agreed but insisted the makeup artist should make sure the makeup isn't too much.

By magrib, Nabeela was ready in her purple dress with the golden head wrapped beautiful in a turban style.  She followed the first batch that were going to the venue. The hall was decorated beautifully in golden and red, those from the bride's side were wearing red heads while those from the groom's side like Nabeela were wearing golden heads.

Nabeela found their table easily, she took a seat and thinking it was going to be another boring night where she would feel so uncomfortable and out of place, she took out her phone to read. She was so bored of reading when she heard a deep voice.

"Nabeela?," 

Her name was softly spoken even though the speaker sounded as if he wasn't sure whether it was her name.

And when she turned around and saw the handsome face she once saw in a picture, she couldn't find her voice. He was wearing a white babban riga that had black embroidery in the middle with black cap and black shoes. Just like in the picture she had seen, his hair, beard and side burns were curly, jaws sharp, eyebrows carved, nose long and lips pink.

"Na..Najib?"

"Da..dan Maula?"

***

"Yaya Nawal I have been waiting for you for the past one hour, can you please hurry up?" Akilu knocked on his sister's door for the seventh time.

"What's your problem Akilu? Why are you in such a hurry? At first you didn't even want to go to the dinner?"

"Well I changed my mind, and you know I hate being late and the dinner starts at 7 and it's already 7:30. Do you want the food to finish?"

"Haven't you ever heard of something called 'African time'?" His sister opened her door with a sigh. She was wearing a beautiful red and black lace with a red head wrapped around her head. Her face was filled with a brownish-creamy something.

"Woah! You are not going like this, are you?" Akeel asked.

"I could have finished my make up ten minutes ago if you hadn't been knocking on my door every five minutes telling me how late I am," she glared at him.

"Okay, go and finish whatever you started, you can't enter my car looking like that." He slumped back on a couch adjusting his babban riga. He spent hours thinking about whether to wear kaftan or babban riga, at last he decided on the latter.

After what felt like forever, Nawal finally came out looking very beautiful. Akilu couldn't help taking pictures with her.

"You look beautiful, no wonder Ya Ismail can't spend a day without seeing you,"

She shoved him jokingly as they headed to the car. When they reached the venue, the parking lot was almost filled up. Akeel found a place and parked his car before following his sister to the hall. He felt his heartbeat increasing as he entered the red and golden decorated hall.

Remembering why he is really here, he started looking for a fair girl. She may not even be here today. Why didn't he ask her whether she was coming. After talking to five fair girls who turned out not to be Nabeela but still batted their eyelashes at him and asked what he wanted, he found a seat and with a sigh, sat down. He had almost given up when he spotted a lady wearing a purple dress and sitting all by herself on  a table of ten.

He took steady steps and called out a name, "Nabeela?".  She immediately turned around. The picture he saw didn't do justice to the girl. She wasn't as bad as she looked in the picture. Maybe it was because she was wearing make up today, she looked really pretty.  She was a young fair girl with long eyelashes and bushy eyebrows that were concealed. She had doey eyes and small pink lips. When she smiled, her dimple came into view making her look more beautiful. Her face showed how surprised she was. She opened her mouth to talk then closed it and opened it again.

"Najib?"

At first he thought she didn't recognize him but when she said the next word he understood where she got the name.

"Danmaula?"

He laughed as he pull out a chair and sat down. "It's Akeel or Baffa not Danmaula nor Najib?"

She smiled a little, her dimple popped out. Then in a shy voice said, "Sorry I am just used to that, I always picture you as Danmaula,"
Akeel laughed fruitly.

"What are you doing here?" She asked quitely again.

Akeel wanted to tell her the truth to say he came to apologize but instead he said, " I brought my sister,"

"Ohh," she nodded her head and smiled. They kept quiet for some minutes. Nabeela nervously playing with her phone while Akilu thinking about how to apologize. After debating with himself, Akilu decided to apologize once and for all.

"I wanted to say I am so sorry for how I behaved on Wattpad. I am so so so sorry,"

"Seriously it's okay, I thought we had finished talking about that,"
she smiled.

He gave her his million Dollar smile and said, "Thank you very much,". It was only when he closed his lips, he noticed some ladies had occupied the empty seats on the table. One of them was talking to Nabeela asking who he was. Even though he didn't want to leave, he had to.

With another smile he said, "See you again Nabeebee," nodded his head at her and the others then left.

And for the first time in what felt like forever Akeel went to sleep not thinking about his ex, Niima but thinking about a completely different person.