17. Steve

Jack slowly opened the front door to the now dark and quiet house.

"We're only staying so I can check on Leah and the kids," he whispered to Kayla as the two ascended the stairs, trying to make as little noise as possible.

"Sureeeee, Jack," she smiled smugly. She was glad he had decided to stay. A part of her was holding out hope that Jack and Elizabeth would make up in the time they had left.

"I mean it, babe. I'm not speaking to my mother for the rest of our time here," Jack said firmly.

"The silent treatment? What are you 5?" Kayla teased.

"I have nothing to say to her."

"Okay Jack, but she's your mom. You're going to have to talk to her at some point."

"At some point, maybe. But for now... silence is golden."

Their packed bags had been brought back up to their room and were sitting on the bed - most likely Elizabeth's doing.

The two undressed and climbed into bed.

"It's been a long day," Kayla sighed, laying her head on Jack's chest.

"I know. Not what you expected, huh?"

"Not at all."

"We just have to get through tomorrow. Then we'll be back home, just the two of us, in no time," Jack said, kissing the top of her head.

"You know, as much as they might drive you crazy, I actually like your family, Jack. I hope we can come see them more often. Maybe we could do holidays with them?"

Jack sat up to get a better look at her face, checking to see if she was serious. "You would want that?"

"Yes."

"Well, I guess we could make that happen."

"Really?"

"If it would make you happy then of course."

"You're the best," Kayla grinned, sitting up to kiss him.

"Mm, say it again," Jack sighed happily, closing his eyes.

"You're the best," she whispered, kissing his neck while she trailed her hand down his bare chest, grazing it over his boxers.

"One more time."

"You want me to say it one more time or you want to fuck one more time?" Kayla asked quietly, feeling him grow hard in her hand.

"Both. Preferably whispering it in my ear while I fuck the shit out of you," he said, wrapping his arm around her to flip her on her back.

---

The next morning Jack and Kayla woke up early. They took their time showering and getting ready for the day.

Kayla wore an off-the-shoulder sweater and jeans. She slicked her still-damp hair back into a high ponytail, letting it air-dry. Jack put on a pair of jeans and a henley. He stood in the doorway of the bathroom, watching as Kayla applied mascara in front of the mirror.

"I can't believe that I'm going to be married to the most beautiful woman on earth," he mused.

"Oh stop it," Kayla rolled her eyes. Jack laughed, noticing the smile that twitched on her lips.

"Speaking of which, you told my mother she could plan the wedding?"

"I did, yeah," Kayla said nonchalantly.

"Why would you do that?" Jack asked. "Don't most girls grow up dreaming of the day they get to plan their wedding?"

"Because, Jack. What do I know about wedding planning? And I don't know what type of girls you're talking about, but it's certainly not the poor kind who grew up in the TL," Kayla said, speaking of the area in San Francisco where she grew up. When she and her parents immigrated to the states from Ethiopia, a tiny apartment in the gritty, low-income neighborhood had been all they could afford. Poor might've been the tiniest bit of a stretch. As a child, Kayla had never been starving, she'd never slept on the streets. Her parents had each worked multiple jobs to make sure of that. But while Kayla's family hadn't had it as rough as others, they certainly didn't come from the kind of money that Jack's family did. Far from it. As a little girl she dreamed of going to college and financial stability, not... planning weddings.