"Hey," he started softly, "don't think so negatively. Our police department will find the killer. Yeah, Jay's dead, but that doesn't mean we won't be able to find the killer."

I let out a breath. "I guess you're right. Everything just seems to be going so fast, the difference between the deaths are getting shorter."

"It means the killer is getting desperate, Sajdaa."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"The more victims the killer takes and the shorter the time between the deaths mean that the killer is getting anxious. One death isn't enough for the killer to be satisfied," he stated, lowly so only my ears would hear. "The more he kills the closer he is to getting you."

"But why delay it?"

"Sajdaa, you're special to the killer. That means your death has significant meaning to him, good or bad," he said, giving me a tight smile. "Let's just hope he doesn't try to get you too soon."

Another police car stopped in front of us, rolling its window down as the engine roared. Familiar hazel eyes locked with my own, capturing me in a trance that I never wanted to escape from, but the moment was short-lived because Malik's eyes narrowed at Officer Nathan, who visibly shifted.

"Nathan, what are you doing?" questioned Malik, suspiciously as he looked between the two of us. His jaw clenched. "I thought you were on patrol duty not girl duty."

Officer Nathan grinned, "She looked so lonely that I just had to entertain her with my presence."

I rolled my eyes, stepping away from the feuding officers.

"Nathan, did you forget about the killer? Stop flirting with her," demanded Malik, fury lacing his voice.

"You can't tell me what to do."

"Nathan," growled Malik in warning, his grip tightening on the wheel.

"Talk to you later, Sajdaa," winked Officer Nathan as he turned to walk back to his car, humming a childish tune on his merry way.

I brought my attention back to Malik, who was still glaring at Officer Nathan's back, clearly upset over the whole situation. I, however, was even more annoyed at his rude behavior towards Officer Nathan. He was just trying to comfort me, but Malik became enraged by it.

"What's your problem?" I hissed.

"Get in the car."

"No."

His head snapped towards me. "What?" he frowned.

"Ask nicely and I will," I bargained.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, exhaling deeply. "Are we honestly playing this game right now?"

"I could just leave."

"Okay!" he exclaimed. "Would you please get in the car?"

I scoffed. "Not genuine enough. Try again."

"Please with a cherry on top?" he tried.

"I hate cherries."

He sighed, glancing at his wristwatch. "Sajdaa, I really don't have time for this."

"So, ask me nicely," I said, crossing my arms and tapping one foot against the ground. "I'm waiting."

Perhaps, I was a jerk for doing this to the helpless police officer that allowed his emotions to get the best of him, but it was a suitable form of payback. Malik had to drop his pride if he wanted me to go to the station with him. Yeah, I'm a jerk.