{9} If He Dies Young

Sajdaa Taha

Dylan was dead. I didn't need a doctor to figure that out. I watched, horrified, at the scene in front of me. Blood seeped from Dylan's wounds. His limbs were turned at the wrong angles. His body was still. His lips were busted and cut. A knife cut the corner of his lips into an eerie smile. I wanted to puke.

Bile rose in my throat as I saw Dylan's neck twisted. His head was almost detached from his body, a slick cut on the throat. His guts poured out onto the dead grass. I felt the breeze go through me and chills went up my spine. Dylan's light brown hair was drenched in sweat and blood. His hair fell over his eyes, shielding the horror. His eyelids had an 'x' carved into them. The scabs were starting to dry out. I wanted to scream, yell, and weep all at the same time.

He was dead.

Dylan no longer walked this earth. I'd never get to tease him about his cute drawings or talk to him ever again. I'd never be able to rant about the books I've read to him, even though he'd barely pay attention to me. I'd never get to see his perfect smile whenever I walked by. He was so nice to everybody. He didn't deserve to die, not like this.

I looked at the dark woods behind me, owls gazing down at me curiously. The wild animals were quiet. The wolves howled as if they were in distress, disturbing the odd silence. Sirens wailed and voices frantically called for one another. The world spun around me. I felt myself lose balance as I placed my palm firmly on the tree besides me. Dylan's body was being carried away.

"Why?" I whispered. Anger welled deep inside my chest at the torture this poor boy had to go through. He had such a bright future and one person took that all away from him. His life was robbed by time. He died too young. "Why?" I screamed into the woods.

I wanted to forget all of this. I desperately wanted to believe that Dylan and that Muslim girl were still alive. I wanted my uncle's comforting words right now. I wanted all this evil to just go away. My mind hurt as I felt a pounding in my skull. My vision was blurry. I squeezed my eyes shut. This is all just a bad dream, I tried to convince myself. This isn't real. Please, don't be real, I thought.

"Sajdaa?"

I opened my eyes, the horrible nightmare continued. It wasn't fair. He shouldn't have died. People are dying because of me. I indirectly killed them.

"Sajdaa," Malik's voice broke through my thoughts. "It's not your fault. You didn't do this to them," he comforted.

I turned to him, my arms wrapped around myself. "How can you say that when even your fellow officers think it's me who did all this?" I croaked out.

He gave me a sad smile, "I know you." He took a step closer to me. "You're innocent," he said as he took another step. "You're not a murderer," he whispered as his breath fanned my face.

He was so close to me. His musky scent clouded my brain. I couldn't think with our close proximity. His eyes strayed through the different features of my face as if he were searching for something.

I pushed him away from me. No. I wasn't going to be this vulnerable to him again.

"They died because of me, Malik! Don't you see that?" I yelled in frustration.

He kept his distance this time. He knew we couldn't be like this to each other. Hell, we couldn't be anything to each other except Officer and resident.

"They died because some guy has anger issues and is taking it out on innocent people," he stated, firmly.

His hazel eyes forced my body to stay still. He looked at me as if I was the only girl in the world. His gaze had softened. I knew he felt bad for me, but I didn't want his pity.

"I-I can't believe it," my voice cracked.

Malik leaned against tree besides me as he stared at the scene across from him. His arms were crossed over his chest.

"I know," he said.

"What do we do?" I asked.

"We wait for the autopsy and look at the previous cases for clues," he sighed as he ran his fingers through his tousled dark brown hair.

A slow clap came from my side. Malik and I turned our heads to come face to face with Officer Cole. A cruel sneer was on his lips.

"Well well, if it isn't the little terrorist and her watch dog," he hissed.

"Cole, stop this nonsense," Malik glared. His fists clenched besides him. His body was rigid.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, for all we know you could be the killer."

He grinned at me, mockingly. "Well, your Highness, that is exactly why I came here." He gave me a small piece of paper. "Another letter addressed to you. Enjoy," he said as he walked away.

I read the contents of the letter.

I am closer to you than you think.

I shivered inwardly as I gave the paper to Malik. His hazel eyes scanned the paper. I watched Officers Cole and Nathan talk to one another in hushed voices. It couldn't be either of them because at the time of death they were with Malik and I.

I glanced at Malik. It couldn't be him either because he was occupied with the other officers on the Muslim girl case. They all had an alibi that could easily be proved, so who could it be?

"I think we need to put extra protection on you," said Malik while scratching his chiseled chin.

"Closer to me than I think," I mumbled the words from the paper. "Is it someone from school?"

"I highly doubt a high school student can get away with three murders without leaving any clues behind," he scoffed.

"I mean it's not impossible," I shrugged.

"I'll run a search on the students. There could be an accomplice."

I nodded in agreement. It was better to be safe than sorry. I turned my head back to Dylan's body bag. Don't worry, Dylan. I'll find out who did this to all of you.

Malik looked at his watch. "Let's go. I should take you home."

"Can I please help with the search for evidence?" I pouted at him, trying my best puppy dog face.

Malik sighed, "Sorry, princess. You gotta go home. Besides you're not allowed to even be here."

I huffed, "I'm a queen not a princess, you moron."

I glanced at the forensics team before sighing. He's right. I don't belong here.

"Stop whining and get in the car," Malik demanded as he walked to his police car.

I grumbled as I followed him. "You know after seeing my classmate's dead body, I'm pretty sure you should be nice to me."

"Nice isn't in my vocabulary."

"I noticed," I muttered as I sat in the backseat.

"Get a good night's rest today. Tomorrow, we're hunting for this killer."

I held back a laugh. If only it was that easy.

Assalamalaikum y'all!

Yeah this was kinda short, but I'm like sleep deprived. Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

 Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!