{21} Bulletproof

Sajdaa Taha

"Ridwan's awake."

That was all it took for my legs to move. Without even realizing it, my body was carrying my weight to the hospital room where my brother laid helpless on his bed. My mind tuned everything out, nothing mattered at that moment. The busy hospital became a buzz around me, irritating my thoughts even more.

I needed to see my brother.

Barging into the room, I was met with the backs of my parents. Their voices were in low murmurs, a deeper more raspy voice voice among them, and I knew it was Ridwan's voice. My eyes widened, was he really awake?

"Ridwan!" a voice exclaimed.

Hamza ran from my side and into Ridwan's bed, making my older brother chuckle. My parents moved out of the way, a tired smile forced its way onto my mother's lips, her eyes gleaming at the sight of her two boys. Hamza's arms wrapped around Ridwan's torso.

He winced. "Easy, buddy. I'm still broken on the inside."

"Sorry, it's just been so long," said Hamza as he took a step back. "You look like hell though."

"I just woke up, do you mind?"

"Nope," grinned Hamza.

I took a couple steps closer, listening to the boys banter a little bit. Ridwan seemed weaker than before. His cheeks were a pale tan, an unnatural color in our skin tones. His lips were dry, cracking as he talked. The bruises on his arms had started to heal, which made me even more grateful that he was still alive.

Ridwan's eyes met mine, his lips curling into a wider smile as he gestured for me to come closer. My chest felt constricted and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My steps wobbled as I tried to convince myself that he was okay. I could hear his voice call out to me and my mind refused to imagine a life without my older brother. 

"You're alive," I croaked. "You're really alive."

He smiled. "It would take a lot to get rid of me, little sister."

"Why did you do it?" I asked, tears finding their way into my eyes as I remembered that horrid night with Ethan. "Why didn't you let Malik call for backup?"

He averted his gaze down, his fingers laid limply on the bed, and slowly he gripped the blanket. "I had to, Sajdaa," he mumbled.

"No, you didn't!"

My mother's arms came around my shaking form. "Sweetheart, deep breaths," she whispered against my hijab. Her breath was warm. "Don't blame him, Sajdaa. He's awake now."

"You almost died, Ridwan," I said in a firm voice, watching as he cringed at my words.

"What did you expect me to do?" he snapped. "Do you have any idea what type of man Ethan is? He's dangerous and tricks people into submission. I went into that disgusting place with only one thing on my mind. My sister would make it out alive and get the information she needed."

"We could have had help."

"If I brought the cops with me, he would have never helped us. When dealing with dangerous people, you have to be careful with every decision," he stated. 

I stayed quiet, leaning against my mother for comfort. Her arms tightened around me and a dulling pain entered my chest. Ridwan noticed my disappointment and sighed, closing his eyes. 

"I wouldn't have taken the risk if I didn't know what I was doing," he said, cautiously like he was waiting for my outburst.

"I thought you were dead."