Mini Boss 13 - First Mate Omar

Start from the beginning

            The pirate bent over and picked up two cutlasses from the fallen pirates. He pointed one of the curved blades at Link. “Ye’re done fer now, lad.”

            Link raised his staff, blocking the blows that followed. Omar was trying to finish this fight off. He slammed the floor, forcing it to rock back and forth. Link wobbled again, but he caught himself as Omar began to attack again.

            The Cage went up and down. Zelda finally jumped back on and more pirates joined them from above. Link was forced to continue to defend himself from Omar, as the pirate no longer allowed himself to be distracted by the other fighters in the arena. He kept Link on the defense, and Link couldn’t find a moment to swing back.

            The floor tipped beneath again. Link raised up above Omar as the man began to wobble backwards. Link took the chance, and slammed the pirate in his chest.

            Omar gasped for air as the staff hit his sternum again. He stumbled backwards towards the opening beneath the end of the Cage. Link realized suddenly that the man was going to fall out from the Cage. He rushed forward just as Omar slipped under the edge and grabbed the man by his forearm.

            Lynard slid down, keeping the gap open as Link tried to keep himself from sliding off too as Omar hung from his arm. The pirate realized what Link was doing, and started to pull himself up.

            The remaining pirates evened out the Cage floor. Omar stood up and looked at Link. He said, “Yuh shouldn’t trust a pirate, lad.” Link held the man’s gaze, not sure if Omar was going to try fighting them again. The pirate let out a deep breath. “I shouldn’t have underestimated ye, lad.” He wrapped his huge arms around Link with a grasp almost more powerful than a goron.

            Finally, Omar set Link down. He stumbled back a step as he regained his breath. Zelda asked, “What does that mean for us?”

            Omar looked up at the upper level. He said, “The Capt’n made her orders pretty clear, but I’m not so sure she’s in her rightest mind. I’m not fond of ye, Princess, but yer Hero is something else. Though, if ye mean what ye say about judgin’ men on their character, then I think there may be hope for this land.”

            He turned to the other pirates. “Ye heard me. Yuh’ll not tuh-”

            The Cage suddenly dropped. The door slammed above them. All heads turned up as Sayyida appeared on the edge above them. She said, “Yuh betrayed me, Omar.”

            “Capt’n,” Omar called up. “We need to think this through.”

            “I’ve done the thinkin’,” Sayyida replied. “You’ve confirmed it fur me. I’m takin’ the demon’s deal, as much as it pains me.”

            Endeavor shouted, “You can not! If you help her, the kingdom will fall.”

            Sayyida answered, “That is no lose of mine.”

            The pirate began to walk away. The platform began to wobble. A spear of lava erupted from beneath them. A chest rolled over until it stopped in front of Link. Sayyida came back up to the edge as Link pushed the lid open.

            “You got the Hero’s Bow. This age old weapon was strung for an archer of the gods. Its mark is true, and its arrows will always meet their mark.”

            “You got the Quiver. This bag can hold 30 arrows. Use them wisely.”

            Link pulled an arrow over the string. It felt familiar in his hand. Sayyida let out some sound, but Link couldn’t make it out from where he was. He lifted the bow up towards the lever beside Sayyida. An arrow flew from his hand, whizzing by Sayyida’s head and hit the switch to reopen the Cage.

            As the Cage began to rise, Sayyida rushed off. Link jumped over onto the landing beyond the Cage, before something caught his arm. He heard the door slam as he turned back around to Omar. The pirate said, “I may not agree with her, but if yuh hurt her.”

            “I don’t plan on it,” Link answered. Omar let go of his arm as Link’s companions followed him out of the Cage.

            “Set her straight,” Omar called as the door to the Cage. The platform sunk down behind them.

            Link joined the others as they looked around the halls. He asked, “What do we do now?”

            Endeavor pointed to the huge locked door behind them. A huge red lock barred the door, with the Fire Sage’s symbol set in the center. She said, “We find the key.”

            Lynard lifted a map. “I grabbed this before the fight. Figured we could use it.”

            The Drex took the map from Lynard. She passed her hand over it. Several moving dots appeared with runes beside them. She said, “I believe I have located all of our weapons remaining. But also…” She closed the map. “Follow me.”

            With that, Endeavor took off down the corridor, with the others quickly following…