Respite

Crickets chirped outside of the Dreemurr residence as the inhabitants within slept. The New Moon was hiding in its monthly shroud of shadow, leaving the Earth without its light for a while. In response to this cycle, the early Humans of Earth fashioned fires in the huts, caves and temples they dwelt in to drive away the dark until these lights grew into huge roaring flames in hearths, until one day, the lights were incased in glass bulbs and lights of many colors shone nightly on Earth, creating light for humanity to act in.

But these lights aren't flawless. They burn out, as the ancient fires that preceded them died out over time as well. Also, these lights only light our world physically and in our immediate surroundings.

Outside of these lights, the Night still lies. As it always lies, and Dark Things thrive in the dark.

Ancient Humans knew of the Dark Creatures that lay just out of reach of their cities, camps and farms. The Wolves, Cave Lions, Jaguars, and Leopards hunted on the peripherals of these lights, their eyes just visible on the edge of sight...

But Modern Humans have either tamed, killed or frightened most of these predators and then people told themselves they had nothing left to fear except each other and they began to wage war on their neighbors, watching for thieves, killers, rapists. But at least the Beasts were gone. At least nothing waited in the Dark anymore with bloody arms and drooling fangs....

At least, that's what Modern Humans like to think.

Ancient Humans knew of the Other and Worse Enemies that preyed upon those who are alone and weak.

Dark Entities.

Known throughout the World by many names: Evil Spirits, Yokai, Demons, Jinn, Banshees, Sluagh...

Humans learned quickly that no matter how large they built their Fires, Dark Entities would come upon them in many ways; sometimes posing as a Beast of Unnatural proportions, sometimes stealing away children and women into the Night to have their ways with them, other times invisible but pleasing themselves by tricking the easily-tampered-with senses of humans, causing them to have many sleepless nights and be bitter for lack of sleep during the day and forever fearful at night; a delicious combo for Dark Entities.

Today, Humans still try to drive away the Night with bright lights and loud festivals but these distractions only work temporarily, for just outside, the Dark Ones wait endlessly, waiting invisible and unnoticed, until One is alone and the Voices whisper and One's nerves are shattered and One wishes desperately for either sleep or friends or even death.

One was awake in the Dreemurr residence. One was laying in bed, their heart pounding in their chest, their nightmares vivid in their mind.

One was Frisk and she had had a nightmare.

\

Frisk was standing in a dimly lit area surrounded by darkness. In the light she saw a little Flower; a random curiosity for anyone else but for Frisk, a sight that stirred up within her an indescribable mix of pity, longing, fear and distrust.

This only got worse when the flower suddenly manifested a face.

It smiled at her, but not in a friendly way. It was a mockery of friendliness: a front that she knew all too well.

It spoke in a high-pitched, nasally voice.

"Howdy! Well, well, looks like you followed my advice, doesn't it?"

Frisk couldn't dare ask what Flowey meant. She wouldn't play this game, not again!

Flowey grinned darkly and said accusingly, "You finally forgot about me...HAHA! I knew you had it in you!" He laughed, accusing her. Hatred ran thick in his voice.